Chapter 103: The Chat by the Campfire

Darkness had covered Hyrule as the sunset behind the mountains in the distance. At this time, the moon would usually be visible, though tonight was different. Dark clouds had begun to loom overhead during the day, and as the evening grew closer, so did they. The blackened clouds bundled together, creating a dark blanket that covered the sky and blocked the stars and the moon from shining their light down onto the lands. Though a majority of Hyrule was now encased in the natural darkness, Zora's Domain continued to shine as bright as the moon itself if it were visible. The luminous stone that had been carved into the structure illuminated the halls and floors of the domain, allowing the Zora to continue their tasks if they wished, though most, if not all, had already decided it was time to rest for the evening. One Zora, however, remained wide awake as the others rested their heads.

Mipha stood near the entrance of her home, pushed up onto her toes to lean over the railings as she looked out into the running waters and mountains of the Lanayru Region. She hadn't seen him since their conversation on Ploymus Mountain. He had promised her that he would stay in the domain for a few days, however, there wasn't a trace of him that could be found there. She had searched every staircase, bed, and floor for her friend, but he simply just wasn't anywhere to be found.

With a defeated sigh, she dropped from her toes onto the flat of her feet. As sadness began to take hold of her, she folded her arms on the railing before resting her face into them, taking a deep sigh as she did. She couldn't help but feel that maybe she was a bit forceful with Link. She knew that he had never been good with opening up, even before he had gotten the sword that sealed the darkness, though, it was an understatement to say that the sword hadn't made him severely more closed off than he already had been. Still, it was frustrating to her. She was supposed to be his best friend and she wanted him to open up to her.

If I can't get him to open up, then is there anyone out there who can? Mipha asked herself. Though she felt guilty for admitting it, she had hoped that there wasn't. She wished that she could be the one to find her way into his heart and convince him to share the burdens he had with her. At this point, however, that seemed impossible.

Though Mipha had no intention of raising her head, she suddenly felt a small tug near the bottom of her leg. With a deep breath and as much willpower as she could muster, she raised her head before looking down at her feet. There, gazing up at her with amber eyes just like her own, little Sidon stood in her presence, clinging to her leg as he gave her a worried expression.

"Oh, hello there, Sidon," Mipha said tiredly as she bent down to take her brother into her arms. "I'm sorry, I know I haven't spent much time with you today. Your sister has been a bit... busy."

Sidon tilted his head, giving a cute little sound as he did. Mipha blinked a few times before beginning to realize what the little Zora was trying to ask.

"You want to know... why do I seem down?" she asked him. Sidon nodded. "Oh, Sidon, you don't want to know about my struggles. You're too young to be worrying about me."

Despite his big sister's words, Sidon shook his head in disagreement with his head-tail swinging back and forth behind him as he did. Mipha stared into his bulbous eyes for a moment before giving another sigh. She couldn't argue with those sparkling orbs.

"Your sister just wishes..." she began as she turned to look back out into the mountains. "She just wishes that Link would open up to her more. She wants to understand him. She wants to be in his heart. I... just want him to tell me what he's going through."

After giving her thoughts, Sidon sat in her arms for a moment in thought. The only thing that the little shark could come up with was wrapping his little arms around his sister's neck in an embrace. Though she was caught slightly off guard, Mipha giggled as she returned her brother's warmth.