Chapter 83: A Mythical Radiance

Dusk soon fell upon the spiraling wooden village as the bird people began to settle down. Rito children ran through the raised staircases towards their wooden huts as the adult bird people pulled out brooms to sweep their wooden platforms for the night. A Hylian couple began to head towards the inn with their conversations consisting of baked apples and their honeymoon choices, while another simple Hylian girl remained sitting at the very same inn reading a book and taking notes in another.

Zelda had taken her braid down, allowing her hair to free fall as she tapped a quill against the paper, silently reading as she turned the pages with her free hand. She had changed from her stealthy suit into her old royal winter outfit, however for indoors she had removed her fluffy caplet and her soft brown boots, resting them on the chair next to her along with her brown gloves in order to make writing easier. What remained on her body was the white and gold accented corset and coat, and her black tightened pants hugging her thighs.

She sighed, bringing her eyes up from the written sentences on the pages to look out towards the setting sun creeping down behind the mountains, swinging her legs with her bare feet freely brushing against the open chilly air to keep the circulation going. He had been gone for quite a while, and while she was sure she could go out and find him; she knew that she had to take a step back. The girl thought back to the night before, remembering the fierce blue eyes of the knight. Looking back, more than just dangerous intent filled his glowing blue eyes. Fear, anxiety, sadness... and now she understood why.

"I wish you would come to me," she whispered under her breath as she rested her cheek in her palm. "I don't know what you saw... but if it was Urbosa, then I understand you know... I hope you come to me when the time is right. Until then..."

Though she wanted nothing more than to console Link, Kass's words rang in her mind: sometimes it's the smallest of gestures that allows one to know that they are loved, and never alone. She frowned a bit as she continued to look out. A small gesture? What's considered small, and how was she supposed to confront him with said gesture if he stayed distant from her? Zelda looked down at the notes she had been writing, furrowing her eyes slightly. Would what she was working on be considered a small gesture, or just everyday necessities? Sighing as her thoughts continued to stir, would it even matter this evening? It would be surprising if he even returned tonight after yesterday's events...

"Hey, Zel..." a voice called out to her from behind. Zelda turned her head, her eyes resting upon the Snowquill-dressed Link, the purple legendary sword on his back along with what seemed to be a kite-shaped shield. His face remained cold, yet she could see a hint of regret and sadness in his features. Silence sat between them as Zelda stood staring with a blank face, surprised he had appeared despite her previous thoughts. Noticing her silence, Link frowned a bit deeper than he already was. "Sorry for being gone all day. I know you're probably mad that I-"

"Did you complete your trials?" Zelda asked with a soft smile. Link furrowed his eyes a bit, seemingly caught off guard by the girl's calm response. After a moment of silence, the knight slowly shook his head.

"I've got one more," he said quietly as the girl stood, walking over on her bare toes as she made her way towards him. "It has to be done at night. So, I'll be heading out soon again." He looked down at his padded boots, waiting for her usual barrage of questions as to why he always did things alone, however, Zelda simply pressed a palm to his cheek, making his eyes raise to hers in response.

"Will you be back for dinner?" she asked as gently as she could, even though her eyes seemed to light up slightly. Link's eyes dilated in surprise, though his face seemed to fall even sadder. Zelda continued to give as warm of a smile as she could. "I can stay up and have it ready for you, if you won't be out too late."