Chapter 41: Trouble in Tarrey Town

"Three thousand rupees?" Link reiterated in disbelief. Grante, the Sheikah salesmen in front of him, nodded with a guilty smile. The two sat at a table, resting peacefully on the balcony of one of Tarrey Town's Bolson-style houses. Link groaned as he heard the price of the shield. Did it have to be that expensive?

"Sorry Link," Grante said with his hands in the air, apparently reading Link's mind. "I know you're my best customer and all, but the Hylian Shield you had was legendary, said to have been forged by the ancient dragon god, Lanayru himself. The Hylian race throughout the ages have tried replicating the shield, but none have come close to the durability and strength of it. Even the Sheikah blacksmiths of a hundred years ago couldn't replicate its strength, same as the Master Sword. Those black royal guard weapons broke way too easily. However..."

Grante, from what Link could only assume was his own unknown magic, pulled the Hylian Shield replica from under the table, setting it down in front of him. A pang of frustration and an immense longingness filled Link's heart when the shield appeared on the table.

"They got close with this version of the Hylian Shield that I have. It's one of the last replicas Hyrule ever created before the Calamity hit. One wouldn't be able to tell the real one from the old one. Sure it wouldn't last as long, but it would last you long enough. But, with something this rare, of this caliber... I can't go less than three thousand rupees."

Link sighed as he leaned back in his wooden chair, watching the afternoon clouds go by. Three thousand rupees? He had gotten the original Hylian Shield for free. Yes, he had to fight a large Stalnox for it but that was nothing for Link to handle. Grante raised an eyebrow as he watched Link, the question boiling in his chest.

"Link, I have to ask..." Grante said, leaning with his elbows now on the table. "What happened to the original Hylian Shield? It didn't break, did it? I wouldn't be surprised but I was sure it would've had a bit more time on it."

Links eyebrow twitched at the question, the scene of Zelda tapping the remote bomb without stopping replaying in his mind. Link took a breath before his thoughts got out of control as he focused back on Grante.

"It... got lost. Fell of a cliff when I was with a friend. It's pretty... frustrating," Link said. Grante stared at Link for a moment, as if examining the truthfulness of his answer before a grin appeared on the Sheikah's face.

"Ooooh, I know that look. Your friend cost you the shield, didn't they?" Grante said in a deep voice. Link blinked a few times before his face filled with confusion.

"How could you tell?" Link asked with slight amazement. Grante laughed as he slammed a hand onto the table.

"Oh jeez, Link, that's awful! Losing one of the best shields in Hyrule is one thing, but being lost because of someone else? Seriously Link, there's a reason I travel alone these days. People who don't think things through can cost you dearly. I've lost a few things myself because of travel partners." Grante said, wiping a cheerful tear from his eye. Link, not finding the situation nearly as funny as the Sheikah, frowned.

"So... what happened? Tell me the details," Grante asked excitedly, leaning in even further in anticipation. Link sighed as he monotonically told the story of how Zelda had refused to listen to him after she seemed to be frustrated, detonating a bomb that ultimately caused a boulder to fall.

"That's one heck of a story there..." Grante said with a now serious face. "Look Link, I was laughing before, but that's a pretty serious issue, mate. Someone could have gotten seriously hurt. What was she so upset about?"

"If I had to take a guess, it's probably a nickname," Link said leaning in. "I dunno why Zelda is so frustrated about me calling her princess though-"

"PRINCESS? AS IN PRINCESS ZELDA?" Grante asked in shock, standing up at the name. "Link you have to go to my father now! He's been-"