Chapter 39: Mining on the Akkala Islands

"Link, where's the bridge?" Zelda asked as she guided her horse next to Epona. Link gave her a jokingly confused look.

"Whatever do you mean, Zelda?" Link asked teasingly as he pointed out towards the first island pillar. "It's right there."

"Link. All I see is a few absurdly long pieces of wood connecting the islands. Where's. The. Bridge?" Zelda asked once more, praying deep in her heart that exactly what she knew was happening wasn't happening. Link, however, shattered those prayers.

"I'm pretty sure you just described a bridge. And that's it right there," Link said as he hopped off of Epona. Zelda stared off into the distance, trying to wrap her mind how any of this could have been possible for Hylians to build.

"Not everything was made with Sheikah technology, you know," Link said, appearing at the side of Zelda's horse, raising a hand in order to help Zelda down from the large saddle. Zelda allowed Link to take her hand and guide her off the horse as she continued to look onward at the wooden planks.

"All right, Zelda, there's two ways we can go about this," Link started in his teaching tone. Zelda sighed, now focusing on Link's words. Compared to other adventures he had gone on, this had to be nothing in comparison. "I can go first, clear the enemies and have you walk across on your own afterwards... or you can walk across with me. If I go first, you won't have to worry about Guardian Skywalkers, but you'll be alone crossing the bridge. If we go together, you'll have me to ensure you won't fall, but there's a chance Guardian Skywalkers will lock onto us and we'll have to fend them off. Your call."

Zelda looked down the cliff they were standing at. She watched as the ocean waves crashed against the heavy boulders lining the cliff walls. She then looked up to see two Guardian Skywalkers across the bridge, guarding the islands as they circled. As much as she wanted Link to be with her across the bridge, she would rather not have them both get shot down.

"I shall... I shall let you go first..."  Zelda said, backing away slowly. Link nodded. In a flash, Link was sprinting along the planks towards the Guardian Skywalkers. Zelda watched in awe as Link effortlessly crossed the makeshift bridge. Either courage was truly a gift of his or he didn't think about the consequences of falling.

Zelda watched on as Link reached the islands. In only a few moments, Guardian lasers could be heard going off in the distance. After a few lasers,one of the Skywatchers had started smoking as it crashed to the ground. Zelda couldn't help but smile as she watched on. Link must have been having quite the time.

Suddenly, Zelda heard a loud neigh, snapping her out of her trance. She looked over to see Epona looking her directly in the eye. Zelda squinted.
"What? What is it?" Zelda asked. Epona did nothing but tilt her head toward the island. Zelda rolled her eyes. "That's none of your business..."

That horse was much too intelligent for its own good. Epona grunted as she returned to eating grass. After a few minutes, Zelda noticed the blue figure of Link down at the edge of the bridge yet again. Zelda squinted in order to make out what he was doing. He was... waving. He must have completed the Guardians out. Time to cross the bridge.

Zelda gulped as she looked over the cliff yet again. This was fine. This was okay. All she had to do was keep balance and not fall. Link was just on the other side of the bridge. Nothing to it. This was easy.

All right, Zelda... You can do this. You need the money... and to spend quality time with Link, she told herself as she took the first step onto the bridge. The bridge creaked a bit as Zelda instantly pulled her foot back. Oh dear...

From the other end of the bridge, Link looked onwards, watching as Zelda attempted to cross the bridge. Link sighed. He may have to go over there and walk her over anyway. It was getting increasingly difficult to watch as Zelda continued to take a step and then take a step back. Link smiled as he stepped onto the bridge yet again.