Chapter 107: Giving Her an Answer

Waterblight screamed in pain as it fell into the deep waters that had risen inside of Vah Ruta's interior. Its body floated before bursting into a mess of malice and guardian parts. In a matter of moments, the blight had disappeared into nothingness. The room began to shutter as the high water level began to lower in the elephant's head while gigantic ice blocks and guardian spears shattered or melted away. Soon, Vah Ruta had returned to normal– except for a few blood stains and a small, lifeless body that soiled the beast's bright yellow aesthetic. Link, who had placed the bloodstained Lightscale Trident he had used to kill Waterblight on his back, remained the only living person inside the weaponized creature.

Coming down from his blind rage, he slowly walked through the now shallow waters towards Mipha's body, which had floated away when the waters had risen during his battle. Reaching her body, he bent down and took the small Zora princess into his arms. Blood continued to drip from the wound through her abdomen, staining his hands as he looked into her lifeless eyes. Holding in the tears, Link raised his hand and with his fingertips, gently closed her eyelids. Though he wished for just a moment of silence to contemplate everything he had just witnessed, a voice he hadn't heard in almost a month began to ring in his head.

You have done well to come this far, hero chosen by the goddess.

"Now you say something?" Link said as he turned his head towards the familiar floating blue orb of Sheikah energy. "You haven't said anything for almost a month; not since I first started these trials. Were you just sitting there observing as I watched all my friends die?"

In order to prepare you to fulfill your later tribulations, little involvement was necessary for these tests of spirit.

"Prepare me?" Link said angrily. "For what? How does watching my friends die in front of me help me? I feel more defeated than I ever have in my life!"

Answers will come to you in due time, however, your trials are not over.

"What do you mean they aren't over?" Link shouted. "What more could you possibly show me? I still don't understand what you're testing me on!"

I have told you before: this is a trial to test the unbreakable spirit of the Goddess Hylia's chosen knight. It also has many lessons as well.

"Then what are they?" Link shouted at Maz Koshia's spirit. He reached over his shoulder and grabbed the trident from his back. Without a second thought, Link threw the weapon through the air, however, it simply passed through the orb. "What lessons are there to learn? What are you supposed to be teaching me? You're not even here!"

The answers you seek will be found in due time. Your next trial is back where it all began. If your courage and spirit are still strong then make your way there.

"Let me out of here," Link said coldly. "I want to see Mipha. You kept me from talking to the others. Not her. Don't keep me here until she vanishes."

Without a word, the orb began to disappear along with the illusionary realm. Eventually, just as all the others, the body of Mipha burst into balls of light before he was left alone in a simple white void of nothingness.

"I said let me out of here!" Link shouted into the void. " Maz Koshia! I have to speak to Mipha! I have to fix what I did with her! Let me out! Maz Koshia!"

He continued to shout, however, nothing happened. Link fell to his knees and slammed his fist against the cloudy ground of the illusionary realm. A vein began to pulse from his forehead. He had to escape from this realm. He refused to allow Mipha to pass on without getting a clear answer from him. He racked his brain for a solution as he began looking around the realm for anything useful. It was then that his eyes landed upon the one object still left in the void.