𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕 - 𝐁𝐥𝐮𝐟𝐟

DOUBLE UPDATE!!

*Cue Jaws theme song - Duuuunnnn duun... duuunnnnnnnn dun dun

Heehee, y'all aren't ready for thiiiisss. 

Please don't forget to comment and vote so I know how this book is going :) 

Happy reading my munchkins!

Aspen's POV

"One Ace," I said, slapping a card down on the mahogany desk. 

"3 one's," Everest said, placing his cards down. 

"2 two's."

"2 three's."

"2 fours," Everest said, moving to put them upside down. 

"Bluff," I called, narrowing my eyes at him. 

"How?" he groaned, collecting all the cards. 

"I'm just more observant than you are," I said matter-of-factly. 

"You are the worst person to play this game with," he huffed. 

"Well first off, bluff is played with more than two people. Second, you suck at lying."

"I should think that's a good thing but you make it sound like a disadvantage," he frowned. 

"Well in this case it is, isn't it?" I smirked, raising a brow. He sighed in defeat, shaking his head. 

"So, how are the birthday plans going?" I asked, leaning back in the chair. 

We had just eaten dinner together in the dining room and now we were playing cards. 

Dark wine swished in my glass as I brought it to my lips, staining them a deep maroon. 

The King and Queen were in Scotland to "attend to urgent matters" leaving Everest alone in the giant Palace. Naturally, he asked me to join him for dinner. 

Lowkey wish this was a date. Wait no, I didn't say that. Did you hear that? No, okay good.

I turned to look at Everest when I realized he hadn't responded. His expression had darkened, his jaw ticking. Something he did when he wasn't happy. 

In the nearly four months that I'd known Everest, I learned a lot about him. 

He learned a lot from me as well. 

Mostly unimportant things, like how to edit pictures and send Snapchat streaks. But hey, I got those skills, take it or leave it. 

Everest on the other hand, he taught me how to play polo, chess, how to walk in heels, and how to ballroom dance. 

All useful things... for a Royal. 

I didn't care much for the Royals or their Politics. But lately, things weren't going so well for them. 

The tension between Everest's parents, it was palpable. 

I didn't ask because it wasn't my place to interfere in family affairs, but I could tell it was getting to Everest. He spent most of his time at my flat, away from the Palace and the undoubtedly disagreeing King and Queen. I wasn't complaining about spending time with him, it was just odd that all of a sudden he was constantly around me. 

I didn't mind it. It helped me keep my mind off the fact that my semester was ending in a mere two weeks. 

Then I would be flying home to be back with my mother again. I missed her. A lot. I called her almost every day.