𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 18 - 𝓼𝓽𝓪𝔂 𝓲𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓭𝓮

Hey everyone! 

I hope you're all doing well :)

This chapter might be a little confusing because the third person's POV is switching back and forth but its at the same moment, if that makes any sense 😅

Let me know if there's any confusion and I'll try my best to fix it. 

Everest's POV

"For fucks sake, how much longer is it going to take?" I snapped, throwing my hands up. 

"Everyone is quite busy your majesty. If you'd like, you can go get her yourself. I believe that would be quicker."

I sighed in annoyance, shaking my head. 

My advisors had forced me to stay indoors since yesterday because it "wasn't safe."

Whatever the fuck that means.

It took every ounce of control in my body to keep from sprinting out of the Palace now that I knew where my family was. 

I had been trying to get in touch with my father, but he wasn't picking up the phone. 

Aspen was supposed to be here at 7 in the morning, sharp

And she was now 15 minutes late. 

Aspen was never late. 

I hurried up the stairs towards her bedroom. For some reason, my heart was racing as I hesitated to knock on her door. 

There was no response as my knuckles rapped against the wood. Not a sound came from her room and my brows furrowed in confusion. 

"Aspen?"

Still no response.  

The lock clicked as I turned the key and the door swung open. 

My eyes scanned the room, widening when I noticed the untouched bed. 

What the fuck?

Her room still smelled faintly of peaches as I stepped quietly across the carpeted floor. 

I didn't realize I was holding my breath until my chest felt like it was going to explode. 

My heart was still beating abnormally fast. 

A sigh of relief escaped my lips as I spotted the raven haired girl curled up by the bay-window. I moved closer to shake her awake when I stepped on something on the floor. 

Glancing down, I bent to pick up a white piece of paper. Flipping it over, I realized it was a picture. 

There was a little girl in the picture, her big smile revealing a missing canine amidst her crooked teeth. She stood on top of a bench, two people standing behind her. It took me a moment to realize the little girl in the picture was Aspen. 

The woman in the picture had the same sharp brown coloured eyes as Aspen and I assumed that was her mother. To her right stood a man with messy brown hair. 

Her father. 

I felt a pang of regret run through me as I realized why she had this picture out. 

Shit.

What caught my attention was the navy blue coloured uniforms both her parents wore. There was a patch on both their sleeves. 

Fire Department - City of New York. 

Tiny letters stitched onto her mothers front pocket read Paramedic. 

My eyes wandered the picture and landed on the New York skyline in the background. In the corner of the picture was the date - 06/17/2001.