Chapter 40 - Queen

Hey munchkins!

I hope you guys are doing well :)

What are your weekend plans?

It's Memorial Day here in America so I get a three day weekend! I'm going to venture into downtown San Francisco and get some really good food LMAO

Maybe head to the beach because it's going to be really hot this weekend idk yet 

Anyways, happy reading my loves!

Aspen's POV

"I have something I need to ask you." 

I hummed in response, snuggling closer to him as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders. 

"You know how I'm King," Everest began nervously. 

"Yes Everest, I know you're King," I smiled. 

"My mother's stepping down as Queen since," he trailed off and I nodded my head in understanding. 

It was silent for so long, I looked up at Everest to make sure he hadn't fallen asleep. 

"What is it Ev?" 

"According to Royal Custom, a new Queen must be appointed within 5 days." 

"Okay," I nodded, confused as to why he was bringing this up. 

"So..." 

"So?" Everest shifted beside me, sitting upright to face me. His hand reached up to cup my face and I leaned in to his touch. 

"That means I need to choose a new Queen." 

Then it hit me. 

Everest was King. 

He needed a new Queen. 

I was his girlfriend. 

Meaning by default, I became Queen. 

My mouth dropped open in realization. 

"And I want you to be my Queen," he spoke seriously, holding my hand in his. 

My eyes widened as I stared up at him.   

"Everest, I- I don't know." 

His hopeful expression faltered, disappointment flashing in his eyes. 

"I know, I know how important it is to you but everything is just happening all at once and I can't keep up. It's like the waves keep coming and I can't even get any air in between them," I spoke quickly as he stood up. 

"I understand that. You won't have to do anything I promise. I'll take care of all the work until you tell me you're ready. All you have to do is show up to the crowning ceremony," he rushed out, pacing around the room. 

"Ev, I don't know if I can do that," I said quietly, fiddling with my fingers. 

His head snapped to look at me, confused. Realization crossed his face as he realized what I meant. 

I didn't know if I was ready to be Queen. 

His eyes were dark as his jaw ticked and I knew I had made the wrong move. 

"Everest, wait," I called as he walked away from the balcony. 

"It's fine, I understand," he muttered, holding up a hand. He avoided my gaze, eyeing the wooden planks of the floor. 

 "Let me know what your final decision is," he said, his tone bitter. 

"Don't be like that."