Chapter 34 - Show Time

Everest's POV

"Go faster," I urged as Connor sped down the highway. 

My hands were clammy as they held my phone tightly. 

It seemed like my heart didn't want to slow down as my leg bounced up and down anxiously. 

I could hear Aspen's voice in my head. 

Thank goodness Connor was with me. He was the one who picked up on Aspen's key wording as she spoke. 

I was too panicked to even catch on. 

"You know how my favorite candy is Kit-Kat? Well, when you come back, could you bring me some? I'm not sure where you can find it, but I'm sure you wouldn't need a flashlight or anything to find it. I know there's a very small window of time between your meetings, but I would really appreciate it."

Kit-Kat, we assumed, was code for Katia. I knew that was Aspen's fond nickname for her best friend. 

Connor picked up on the words flashlight and window. It only took me a minute to realize that she was referring to the abandoned office where they had a close encounter with the guards. 

Mud splattered on the car as Connor brought the car to a halt outside the building. 

The area surrounding the abandoned building seemed untouched as we shined the bright flashlights on the pathway. 

I found myself holding my breath as I opened the heavy metal door. For once I was glad Connor was with me. 

I had no clue how Aspen had come to the conclusion that Katia was here, but I prayed she was right. 

"Hello?" Connor called hesitantly and I immediately smacked the back of his head. 

"Shut it, what if they're still here?"

"Mate, if they were still here we'd be dead by now," he pointed out. 

I huffed, not admitting that he had a point. 

"Anyone here?"

I held my breath and strained my ears to pick up on any sounds in the empty room. 

Our footsteps echoed loudly as we started walking again, flashing the torches through glass windows and doorways. 

Something fell, resulting in a loud clatter in the small file room at the end of the hallway. 

Connor and I shared a look before I moved forward.  He held a metal lug wrench in his hand, courtesy of the car we'd driven here. 

I shoved the door open, swinging the flashlight around the room.  

A small whimper caught my attention as the light illuminated a figure huddled in the corner. 

Katia sat with her hands tied, a red bandana around her mouth. 

"Hey, it's me Everest. I'm going to get you out of here."

 I gently untied the knot as Connor held the flashlight, his eyes pealed for any unwanted company. 

"Where's Aspen? Is she with you? Please tell me she's with you," she gasped as soon as the bandana was free. 

"No, she's at the Palace. She told me to come get you."

"They'll kill her," Katia spoke, her eyes wide with fear. 

My heart dropped at her words. 

"Not if I get to her first. Come, let's get out of here quick."