𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 23 - 𝓒𝓻𝓸𝓸𝓴𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓲𝓮𝓼

Aspen's POV

I was breathing hard by the time we ran back to the conference building. With just 10 minutes to spare, we slowed to a walk as we entered the air conditioned room. 

The smell of expensive colognes still lingered in the halls. 

"Ready?" Everest asked, glancing over to me. I turned to look at him as we neared the room. 

"Who am I kidding, you're always ready," he muttered, making me smirk. 

"Good, you're learning," I smiled sarcastically. 

My eyes noticed that his tie was crooked and I brought my hand up to his shoulder. He stopped walking, confusion clear on his face. 

I kept my eyes down, away from his burning gaze as my hands worked the silken material. 

I almost jumped when I felt his arm snake around my waist, bringing me closer to him. 

"Everest there's people here!" I whisper-yelled, quickly looking around. We had to act professional in this environment and here was Everest being all- ugh

"Did I tell you how nice you looked today?" he asked. 

My heart skipped a beat as I felt heat rush to my cheeks.  The mischievous look in his eyes making me realize he was messing with me.

That didn't stop the butterflies in my stomach from awakening. 

You naughty naughty, you teasing me - shut the fuck up Aspen. 

 I bit my lip, the movement catching his eye. His eyes darkened as I felt the arm around my waist tense. 

Two can play that game. 

"No, but you didn't have to. I know I look nice," I shrugged. 

I caught the flicker of surprise in his expression but he masked it quickly. He couldn't stop from smiling as he shook his head at me. 

I smirked, pushing the door open. 

There was a sudden overload of cologne flooding my nostrils as the doors to the conference room opened.

And of course, as usual, it was filled with the creatures that were made to help reproduce.

Men.

Everest sat beside me, clicking his pen ever so often. Of course he was paying attention, but not as much as the men began bickering amongst themselves.

"You dare call me cheap! Cheap! I'll have you kno-"

"Oh for Christ's sake, sit down!"

"You think you're so high and mighty? We've been debt free for se-"

"Nobody asked," I muttered under my breath, my eyes narrowed at the man shouting across the table.

"No wonder Connor was so quick to back out of this," Everest sighed, clicking his pen again.

"Would you stop doing that?" I scowled in annoyance.

"Doing what?" he asked innocently, clicking the pen once again.

I knew Everest could tell I was getting worked up. It was hard to miss the intense glare I was directing at her paper.

Suddenly, I stood up making everyone look towards me.

"Would you all kindly, and respectfully," she began, a sweet smile on her face, "shut up."

Everyone stared at her for a moment.