Chapter 35 - Race Against Time

Hey munchkins! Sorry for being M.I.A (ha. get it, cuz my name's Mia LMAO I'm so funny)

I hope you guys like this chapter, it took me forever to write because I couldn't figure out how to word things properly 😫.

Eid Mubarak to my Muslim readers!

Third Person's POV

The whole world seemed to go silent. All Everest could hear was his own wavering breaths.

The Queens hands shook anxiously as she gazed at the young brunette laying on the floor.

The cell door didn't seem to have a lock, as if his father had known she would be motionless for some time.

His heart was beating out of his chest as he held his breath, kneeling down beside her.

Reaching out, he hesitantly shook her shoulders.

A breathe of relief escaped his lips as he noticed her chest rising and falling slowly.

"Aspen," he said her name urgently.

"Aspen, you need to get up."

Her eyelid twitched slightly as the frown on her lips deepened.

He shook her again, harsher this time.

Aspen felt like she was floating in darkness.

She could hear someone calling her name. Familiar hands touching her neck and arm. A rough finger brushed against her cheek and she found herself leaning into the touch.

Her eyelids fluttered open, revealing her chocolate coloured eyes that Everest had come to adore.

"Hey, you scared me there for a minute."

"Hey, ho-" she cleared her throat before continuing. "How did you get in here? Where's your father?"

"He's gone. I'm not sure where he went but we need to hurry."

"And your mum?" she asked, concern evident in her voice.

Everest bit back a smile at how concerned she was for his mother, not knowing they were more worried about her.

"I'm here sweetheart, I'm fine," Anastasia said, giving her the warmest smile she could muster.

"Did you get my message?" Aspen asked, holding on to Everest's arm for support as they sought shelter in the secret passage.

"I did, well, Connor did. He picked up on it."

"Damn, looks like he has a brain after all," she muttered, making Everest chuckle.

"So you found Katia?" she asked hopefully.

"Yes, she's in the Palace with Connor."

"Why did you bring her back?" she demanded.

"She insisted and there was no time to argue. Zoe is getting help, she'll call us in a bit."

"Alright, let's find Connor and Katia and get out of here."

"Gladly," he muttered, taking her hand as they exited the passage.

"I'll look for Connor, you get your mum out of here."

Everest hesitated, opening his mouth to argue but Aspen was already hurrying towards the dining hall.

Suddenly, she stopped in her tracks.

Something wasn't right.

It was quiet in the Palace. Too quiet.

Not a single guard was roaming the halls, searching for intruders. She had been asked to bring Everest to the Palace, yet the guards didn't seem to be looking for him.