Chapter 39 - Kind Soul

Hey party peoples! 

This is a random chapter but I hope you guys like it heh. 

Aspen's POV

My shoulders felt heavy as I tried to straighten my posture. 

I had been curled up in bed for the past two days and my muscles felt like jelly. 

"Are you ready darling? We have to leave in 5 minutes," Everest's voice came from outside the bathroom door. 

I cleared my throat before responding. 

"Coming!"

Smoothening the periwinkle coloured dress, I twisted the doorknob and stepped out. 

Everest turned at the sound of the door opening, his eyes locking with mine. 

"That colour is amazing," he said, a small smile on his lips as he took in my attire. 

Katia always loved periwinkle. 

She always joked that everyone at her funeral had to wear it. 

Too bad it wasn't a joke anymore. 

The dress felt heavy on my body. I didn't even realize my legs were shaking until Everest gently held my arm to steady me. 

From his expression I could already tell what he was about to ask me. 

"I'm fine. We can go."

He nodded, stepping out aside so I could pass. 

As we walked down the rows of people who had come to pay their respects, seeing the casket made reality hit me like a truck. 

I sucked in a sharp breath, catching Everest's attention. 

His hand grabbed mine and I squeezed it tightly, willing myself not to panic. 

Instead, I tried to focus on the guests who had come for the funeral in Katia's home city of Brooklyn, New York. 

They all wore some form of the shade of periwinkle that made me feel a bit better. 

It was bittersweet. 

If only she knew I would now forever hate the colour. 

I managed to make it through the funeral, but I wasn't really paying attention. 

When it was time for my speech, I simply focused my gaze on the white coloured casket and said whatever came to mind.

Honestly, I couldn't recall what came out of my mouth in those 3 minutes. 

As we walked back to the car, I could feel Everest's concerned gaze flickering to me every now and then. 

It was almost as if he was waiting for me to break down any moment. 

I felt terrible for being so disconnected with him. He was doing his best to make me feel at ease and I knew my lack of acknowledgement was beginning to frustrate him. 

But I couldn't help it. 

-----------------------------------

The sun was setting over the Scottish landscape as I sat in the hammock on the castle balcony. 

I sighed, closing my eyes as I leaned my head back. 

It was a rare moment of peace. 

I felt the air shift around me and my eyes flew open. 

"It's just me," Everest's low voice spoke from beside me. 

"You scared me," I breathed, leaning against him.