Chapter 41 - The Crown

Two weeks later...

Aspen's POV

There was a buzz in the atmosphere this morning when I had stepped out into the streets of London. 

Children ran around the streets, smiles on their faces. Mother's watched fondly from their balconies and doorways as they ran up and down the street. Fathers brought home gifts and sweets for their children and flowers for their wives. 

The sun was shining down on the people of London.

Vendors sat under the shade of their market stands.  Years had passed since the last time the now nostalgic white tents had been put up. 

The energetic buzz was contagious, a small smile on my lips as I took in my surroundings. 

This. 

This was the feeling of freedom. 

The country was happy. 

And it was the best feeling ever. 

"Miss! Miss!"

I turned as a little girl came running towards me, her smile revealing two missing teeth. 

"Hello," I grinned, crouching to her level. 

"Your hair is very pretty," she complimented shyly, twirling the stem of a magenta flower in her hand. 

"Aww thank you! You have lovely curls as well," I smiled. 

Her cheeks turned pink as she looked down shyly. 

"Can I put this in your hair?" she asked quietly and I nodded, leaning down so she could reach. 

"Thank you. What's your name?"

"Hope," she grinned, her green eyes sparkling with excitement. 

She reminded me of Rapunzel. 

"That's a very pretty name," I smiled. 

"Are you excited for the Cortation?" she asked, mispronouncing the word. 

I held back a laugh, nodding my head. 

"Are you?"

She nodded her head vigorously, clapping her hands. 

"Mummy got me a pretty dress, and I'm going to bring flowers! Do you think the new Queen will like roses?" she asked suddenly, her brows furrowing. 

"I'm sure she loves roses," I laughed, my heart warming at her thoughtfulness. 

"Good, I love roses too," she nodded in approval. 

"Hope! Where've you been, I've been calling you for ages!" a woman scolded, hurrying towards us. 

"Mummy I've made a new friend!"

"I'm sure you have but you've got work to do. The flowers won't pick themselves now will they? Come on, love," the woman chided, ushering her into the house. 

Hope turned to look at me one last time, waving her tiny hand before disappearing behind the door. 

I couldn't stop smiling. Hope was the perfect name for the little ball of sunshine. She had made my day and it was only 10 in the morning. 

Everyone was dressed in their best clothes, bright smiles on their faces. 

Any hesitation I had in my heart dissipated when I saw their excitement for the Coronation. They had waited years for this. 

To be able to walk the streets without fear of being stopped by soldiers. 

To be able to roam freely at any time of day or night.