𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏 - 𝐀𝐞𝐛𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰 𝐏𝐚𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞

6 months later...

Aspen's POV

"Good morning everyone, and welcome to Aebarrow Palace," the woman announced, her red painted lips spreading into a grin. I watched her intently as she scanned the crowd of volunteers in front of her.

"As you all know, this is the one day the public is allowed on Palace premises. The Royal family and staff are honored to have you here at the Palace," she continued. She was dressed in simple sleeveless blouse and tailored pants. Her blonde hair was pinned in an elegant updo, the diamond studs glinting on her ears. My eyes travelled to her left hand that had rings, but none on the ring finger. Not married. She was wearing a pair of black heels with red soles - Louboutin's. 

Ooooh so she got the moolah.  

"Now, I do have a list of people who will be working with me personally," the woman said, glancing down at her clip board. "Octavia Mathews, Jacob Mitchell, Aaron Croft, Isabelle Samuels, and Aspen Hill."

I snapped my eyes to her as I heard my name called. 

"I'll start by introducing myself," she started after everyone moved to their stations. "My name is Elizabeth Marie and I'm from Leeds."

My brows furrowed as I studied her face. She looked familiar. 

I pondered a bit, giving myself a few moments before I realized who she was. 

She was the woman I had met all those months back. The girl... what's her name? 

Shame on you Aspen, you have memory space the size of a walnut. 

Think. 

Think. 

Oh wait. 

Noelle?

No. Not Noelle?

Michelle?

No she doesn't look like a Michelle. 

Something with a Z. 

Zoella?

YES, that's it. Zoella. 

The woman standing in front of me was Zoella's mother. 

No wonder they lived in Calabasas Hills, they work for the Palace. 

I drowned everyone else out as I waited patiently for everyone to introduce themselves.  I had to mentally prepare myself to speak.

"Octavia, I'm from New York."

Oh yay, I'm not the only outsider. 

"Aspen, I'm from LA," I spoke loud enough for them to hear. My hands fisted in my pockets as I felt everyone's gaze turn to me. 

Have y'all never seen another human being before?

What am I an alien that you have to stare at me?

"Very well, nice to meet you all. Now, I'm sure you know, the Gala will be held in the palace garden. The theme is indigo and pink because those are the colours of Cancer Research UK." Elizabeth explained. 

She then turned to me, pointing her pencil in my direction.

"I want you, to come with me."

I followed her through the huge oak doors that the guards opened as my pointed black loafers tapped against the marble floor.

"Arms up," the guard said gruffly as he pat me down. "Anything in the pockets?"

"Phone," I replied. The guard glanced at Elizabeth who waved her hand in dismissal.