Tabula Rasa

If I sat in the corner long enough, would the wall consume me? I learned the hard way, that it wouldn't work. But, there I stayed. After all, I was cold, and the corner was ninety degrees.

Don't judge that joke. Heck, give me a pity laugh! I was captured, cold, and cowering in the corner of a claustrophobic cell. Let me have this.

There was a shout and a bang. I perked up.

"Where is he?" someone shouted. It was the first lick of English I had heard in ages. I had been starting to think that my English was just some garbled made-up baby talk-type language, and that I needed to learn whatever everyone else was speaking.

Well, it's now or never, I guess.

Vaguely aware of my surroundings, I stood and plowed through the door. The guards were gone, probably taking care of the intruders. The chaos was on my left, so that was where I turned. They weren't stupid enough to just leave an entire wing of the building completely unguarded, so I decided to take my chances slipping away in the havoc.

I was jogging, trying to recall a way out. Unfortunately, it was a hard task considering I didn't even remember my arrival. Would they be stupid enough to light up the door with a neon exit sign?

I tried a door, freezing. There was a bright red and blue spandex suit, but it seemed damaged. I approached it curiously, fingering the thin fabric. Who in their right mind would wear a spandex suit? It was spandex for crying out loud.

Although, the design looked pretty cool. A little skin tight and bright for my taste, but cool nonetheless.

I noticed wiring tucked into the fabric. There was more to the suit than met the eye. I came to my decision when I noticed a beaten, but still usable duffle bag. I stuffed the clothes inside along with an odd looking set of bracelets that struck me as important. Don't ask why, but I had a gut feeling that I'd been wanting them later. Then, I was faced with a mask. The eyes were white and slanted, although I could see out of them well enough. It was red with a black web pattern draping over it in perfect symmetry. Whoever made it had put in a lot of effort. It almost made me feel bad for palming it, but then I remembered that it would a quick solution to hiding my identity from my captors once I was out.

If I get out.

I had tried escape before. It wasn't like my cell was inescapable. Heck, I'd just burst through the door and left. But, they had so much manpower and then there were the kids. They had kids under there control. I couldn't fight the kids. I wouldn't fight the kids. I refused to fight the kids. It was seriously messed up.

Maybe if I escaped, I might eventually be able to come back and rescue them.

The door behind me flung open, and pounding footsteps stopping in their tracks. Without a second thought, yanked the spandex over my features. I turned to face my opponent. She had fiery red hair, fare skin, and hazel eyes. She seemed stunned to find me out and about, but she only let it show for a split second.

She tapped her ear where there was more than likely a comm. "Guys? I found him." She spoke English, but her accent betrayed her. She was obviously fluent in whatever the bad guys were, and that was enough proof for me. She was probably only speaking English to gain my trust and lure me to an ambush point.

I wouldn't fall for that one. Not again. Never again.

"Let's get you out of here," she said, turning on her heel. "Follow me."

Naturally, I didn't follow. There was a fairly large vent shaft just above the doorway. That's where I decided the best fleeing point would be, so I started there before she appeared again in the doorframe.