Adulting 107

“No way,” Ned breathed with wide eyes. “That’s insane.” Despite the lack of enthusiasm evident in his tone, he took on an awe-struck state as he stared down his best friend, who was officially Natasha Romanoff Approved™ as of the day prior. That’s right, Ned had full intent to trademark it before Peter shot down the idea, claiming that Spider-Man might’ve known he was approved by the assassin, but Peter did not. And, he was in too deep to risk blowing his cover as both Wanda’s crush and father figure. Speaking of:

“So, explain again how an eighteen year old girl sees a dad in a sixteen year old guy,” MJ demanded with a raised eyebrow and an amused twinkle in her dark orbs.

Peter sighed. He’d been through this already. “She thinks Spider-Man is an adult.”

“Then why are you playing along? Why not come clean about your age and be done with it?”

That was the question he had been avoiding discussing with his friends. He didn’t want to ruin their mood just because his motivation wasn’t funny, like not knowing how to get out of it. He sighed again. They were his friends; he might as well tell them. “She’s an orphan, too. And not having parents can suck sometimes. I don’t want her to spend her life without someone to look up to like I used to look up to Uncle Ben,” he said, his expression becoming stoic to hide that he secretly wished someone might step up like that for him.

Ned put a hand on his shoulder somberly. “You’re a good guy, Pete.” The aforementioned boy let himself display a small, fragile smile and nodded in thanks.

That evening, Peter went out as Spider-Man for patrol after he bid his aunt goodnight. He was running on rooftops and chasings low-level criminals for hours, just him and his thoughts and the sound his fist made when it connected with a crook’s jaw. It was rather peaceful until his enhanced hearing picked up the sounds of an alarm blaring several blocks away. Upon his arrival, he groaned.

Who robbed a bank at three in the morning?

These guys did, apparently. And, they acted just as sleep deprived as Spider-Man felt. They shot as though they were blind, with no pattern and minimal aim. Unfortunately, Spider-Man was also sleep deprived and the lack of predictability was seriously messing with his head. Or should I say, messing with his abdomen? That’s right, he did end up getting shot, which was honestly such an annoyance. He wasn’t even in Queens that evening so heading home or to Ned’s wasn’t much of an option. He would just have to bleed out in an alley later while calling a cab. He webbed the criminals up and waved at the police who had gathered outside. Looking down, he groaned - but not at the pain, at the mild inconvenience he was faced with. How annoying. Good grief.

“Spider-Man, are you okay? You got shot!” one of the officers exclaimed, rushing forward to try and help the injured hero. 

“Ah, thanks,” Spider-Man sighed. The officers were taken aback by the lack of pain in his voice and the obvious exasperation. “Guess I got to get a taxi to find help removing the bullet,” he muttered.

“We could give you a ride in one of our blue and whites,” said the policewoman, gesturing towards her vehicle.

“That would be much appreciated.”

When Spider-Man said ‘find help removing the bullet,’ he fully thought they understood that he needed a ride back to Queens, since that was where he was based. He didn’t realize that he never clarified until he was standing in front of Stark Tower at four in the morning, being supported by a badged woman he had just met. What even was his life anymore?

Shrugging inwardly, he began to hobble forward, leaning into the petite cop’s frame. “So,” he grunted, finally admitting to the burning pain that radiated from the flesh wound, “I never got your name.”

“Jean,” she answered dutifully, “Fraser.”

“Well, I feel a ‘thank you’ is in order, considering you stopped me from bleeding out in an alley at such an ungodly hour. Sorry you got night duty, though,” he huffed, pulling her though with him into the private elevator. FRIDAY got it moving and he was confident that the AI had already contacted a doctor to report to the med-bay.

“If you can patrol at this time, it can’t be that bad,” Officer Fraser chuckled, stepping out of the elevator and following the lights FRIDAY had turned on to lead the way.

“Spider!” Natasha exclaimed, racing down the halls and seemingly out of breath. She quickly collected herself and took stock of the situation. “Bruce and Dr. Cho are on their way.” She moved to take Spider-Man’s weight from Jean, who obliged to the silent request for the heroine to help her comrade.

“Thought Dr. Buce wasn’t that kind of doctor,” Spider-Man grunted out with a barely noticeable huff of laughter. He winced in pain and the assassin’s eyes softened.

“The usual staff is at home; he’s the best we’ve got.”

“Sounds good. Usually I just use a pair of tweezers.”

“I really hope you’re joking.”

“I wish I was.”

“If you weren't bleeding out right now, I’d punch you.”

“Yeah, that’s fair.”

“I don’t want to be the third wheel, so I’ll be heading out. He’s going to be okay, right?” Officer Frazer wondered.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Thanks again!” Spider-Man chuckled, perking up enough to wave as she strode over to the elevator. 

Natasha flicked the back of his head just before the doors to the lift closed. “You’re not fine, you idiot.”

A/N Hey! I talked to my guidance counselor and I'm going to audit a AP Calculus so I'm still learning Calc, but I have one less grade to stres over, and I also have a biopsy happening on my neck on Friday. So, I'm gradly becoming less on edge and tense and generally stressed out, which is good! Idk why I needed to clarify why it's good. It's OBVIOUSLY good. Oh well. Hope you enjoyed. ✌