Back in NY-Veteran's Day Special Short

Info: I've been super busy all week, so this is a few days late...

"Think that coward will ever come back?" Tony Stark asked, taking a sip of brandy while the news caster fed the city its latest story.

"It's been about two years since the last Spider-Man sighting, Tony," Steve Rogers sighed with a shake of his head. "He was good at what he did, but it was probably a lot to live a double life. Cut him some slack."

"He managed it for a good four years before he fell of the bandwagon, Steve," Tony countered. "He could do it. He did do it. I don't get why he'd stop. The crime rates are up - can't leave the tower anymore without some concealed Iron Man tech. So what if he needed to cut back on the time in the suit? Going out when possible is better than quitting."

"Stark, just leave it," Natasha frowned. "There's nothing you can do about it now."

"Yeah, listen to the scary lady," Clint piped up from the couch, earning a whack to the back of the head. "Also, Fury's coming by soon. Didn't say what for. Maybe a mission?"

"Probably, he doesn't check in for any other reason," Bruce sighed. "I hope he doesn't call for the other guy."

"I found out what happened to Spider-Man," Fury announced, lopping a file on the table as soon as the meeting was underway in some random conference room. The Avengers froze. Natasha found it in herself to start leafing through the papers

"Peter Parker: twenty year old orphan. Says here you just pulled him out of the military to take him to SHIELD after finding out about his powers," Natasha summed, glancing up to make brief eye contact with the director before continuing to muse through the information. "I certainly hope you don't have any inhumane plans."

"Of course not. He's our newest agent," Fury stated cooly. "He'll be on the sort of missions I'm not comfortable sending a normal human on, other than that he'll be in the labs. He's got some smarts, and might even give Stark a run for his money."

The billionaire scoffed. "Doubt it... But, I do kind of want to meet the guy."

"You're in luck then," Fury smirked. "Hill has him camping out in your living room right now. His family is going to swing by soon, too."

"You invited his family?!" Clint blurted, surprised. "Not that there's anything wrong with that," he backtracked, "he probably hasn't seen them for a while."

"Yes, Coulson figured we could at least give him a safe-"

"My apologies for interrupting," Friday said, a hint of emotion seeping through her voice, "but I think you'll want to see this."

A hologram lit up, displaying a young adult with curly brown hair and dark eyes talking to Agent Hill. He was in uniform and a duffel bag of his belongings was set neatly on the floor beside him. His perfect posture and tenseness made the team frown. They had always liked Spider-Man's easygoing personality, but it seemed that it wasn't quite as prominent after years of discipline and violence.

An elevator dinged and Happy stepped out, an older woman and two youths, a man and a woman, in tow. None of them looked content. "I can't believe you just showed up out of nowhere and demanded we follow you! Who does that? I could call the cops!" the young woman ranted, jamming a strand of curly black hair hair behind her chocolate ears.

Peter tensed and turned, a shocked look overtaking his features before he broke out into a wide smile. "MJ? Aunt May? Ned?"

The trio froze and turned to stare at the soldier in front of them. "P-Peter?" the older woman - Aunt May - whispered before rushing forward. Peter strode to meet her in the middle, clasping her tightly and pressing her elderly frame into his. His eyes watered as he smiled up at his friends who quickly joined the embrace.

"Hey, guys. Long time no see."