Adulting 109

Info: the last part to the Adulting Arc. It honestly feels lil rushed to me, but that could be the weird self-critic inside of me. I hope you enjoy!

“You’re supposed to be tracking down one of, and I’m quoting you on this, ‘the most dangerous gangs in New York,’ and you’re rewatching Star Wars: Rogue One?” Natasha fumed after storming into the living room in the penthouse to find none other than the web-slinger of Queens himself sitting next to the archer who never missed and the dad who could pull off an insane ‘in and out’ job. That’s right, Scott Lang, also known as Ant Man, was in town.

“I calculated their patterns two hours ago. There’s only, like, a twelve percent chance that they’re meeting tonight and I already bugged their meeting spot,” Spider-Man informed with a dismissing wave of his hand.

Natasha glanced at his company and smiled. “It’s your turn to pick for the Dad Squad movie night, isn’t it.”

“Well, yeah, who else would pick out a Star Wars movie?” he responded cheekily.

“So, I guess I can’t join you then?” she inferred, hinting that she did indeed want to join them.

Spider-Man turned his head to look at her for the first time and she was sure he was grinning like an idiot. “Nope,” he laughed, popping the P. “Go paint your nails with Pepper or something, this is scheduled guy time, no girls allowed!” Clint and Scott did a double take. Did he just deny Natasha something she had wanted? They found themselves on the edges of their seats, eyeing the assassin warily and fully ready to run if need be.

Natasha just laughed. “You sound like an immature middle schooler when you talk like that, but see if you get invited to the next girls’ night,” she countered.

“Your threats are empty and you know it,” Spider-Man scoffed. He paused for a moment. “Wanda likes me too much to kick me out.”

Natasha just laughed and popped into the kitchen, grabbing the snack she had originally come for and leaving quietly, not disturbing the men for the rest of the movie. The two men who sat on either side of the web-slinger shared a look. Natasha had obviously developed a soft spot for the hero, they just hadn’t realized how soft until she let him off easy. When the movie finished, Clint decided he needed to be sure of what he had observed.

“So, you and Nat, huh?” he pondered as the end credits started playing. Spider-Man’s frame went rigid.

“What about me and Nat?” he said, letting out a nervous chuckle.

“Well, wouldn’t she have slaughtered anyone else to deny her?” Scott wondered. “I mean, I don’t really know since I’m not around as often as you are, but still.”

“She’s not some terrifying monster, guys,” the teenager laughed. “Nat’s pretty nice.”

“She threatened to skin me alive last week.”

“Probably a joke,” the vigilante laughed. “You guys are too gullible.”

“Am not!” Clint argued. Spider-Man just smirked under his mask, planning out a small practical joke.

The next week, Spider-Man walked into Clint’s bedroom and glanced at the ceiling. “Why is the word ‘gullible’ written on the ceiling?”

“Nice try, Webs,” Clint scoffed. “I’m not falling for it.”

“Whatever, dude,” the spandex-clad hero smirked. 

He stood there for a moment before Wanda walked in, an annoyed expression playing on her features. “You’re taking too long to tell Clint about dinner,” she complained. She paused and looked, a quizzical look stretching across her face. “Why is the word ‘gullible’ written on the ceiling?”

Clint finally looked up. “Dang it!”

The next Saturday, Wanda invited Peter to join her and Natasha for lunch. They decided to walk since Wanda rarely ran into any fans, seeing as she was a much lesser known hero and Natasha was really good about keeping her face unconnected to her Avenger status seeing as she went on undercover missions on a monthly basis and being easily recognizable could be fatal in the field. 

“So, then MJ was like, ‘Shut up, Flash. No one wants to listen to your word barf,’” Peter laughed, explaining the week’s events to the two ladies. Wanda smiled, her usually ‘his laugh is so heavenly’ speel running though her head. What she didn’t know was that a similar thought occured to the boy walking beside her when she let out a giggle of her own at his antics.

Granted, it all came to an abrupt end when Wanda was yanked into an alley.

Peter and Natasha immediately ran after her to be met with the sight of a gun to her head and a second guy patting her down for a wallet. “Move and she gets it,” the first guy snarled. Natasha cursed. She couldn’t cross the distance between them before her surrogate daughter’s brains were blown out. Peter didn’t think after the threat was issued. Somewhere, it registered that Wanda’s hands were restrained, preventing her magic and that Natasha hadn’t taken control of the situation yet, so he took control in the form of a thin, sturdy strand of white which connected with the weapon that was threatening his friend’s life. He instinctively yanked and leapt onto the wall, clearing the entire alley in less than a second. Wanda elbowed the first man and jerked her hands free, quickly knocking out her opponent with a spout of scarlet. When she turned to stop the other guy, she saw him cover in white.

Webbing. Spider-Man’s webbing.

“But,” she started before swallowing thickly. The brunette turned to face the redhead.

“There’s a good explanation for all of this, I promise,” he mustered, his voice wavering slightly.

“I’d like to hear it,” Natasha said, finally stepping forward. She glanced at the thugs. “But, not here.”

And that’s how he ended up on a rooftop, staring at two torn females minutes later. “I never wanted it to get out to anyone that Spider-Man is a minor,” he began, capturing their attention. “I did try to get out of those dates, Nat, but I couldn’t seem to worm my way out of them. A-and then Wanda, you made it obvious that Spider-Man felt like a dad and I just- Look, every father figure I’ve ever had is six feet under and I didn’t think I could take that from you. Plus, it’s not like I knew you were going to end up meeting my civilian persona.”

Wanda smiled at the thoughtfulness of the boy in front of her. “Thanks, Peter. Even if it was just for a little while, having a dad was pretty awesome.”

Peter just grinned and looked at her. “I’ve never been more stressed out about something in my entire life - and I once went a week without sleeping.”

Natasha stared him down for several more moments. “Well,” she sighed, “I can’t say it’s the weirdest thing that’s happened to me. Now, who’s ready for lunch?”

A/N Lyssa0070 helped me figure out to do an accidental reveal! She's pretty awesome sauce, go check her out!