Abandon P2

A/N I wasn't originally going to do a part 2, but I got several requests for it, the most recent coming from @thivya2002 . What can I say? I got the first sentence out and was curious to see how it would go, so here's the product! Enjoy!

Spider-Man was going to die. It was painfully obvious. There was no coming back from the damage he'd been taking in this fight. He wouldn't be able to pull it together this time. It was over.

It all started when every villain he'd ever faced decided to team up the week before. Their plan might have worked had the Avengers not gotten themselves involved. Unfortunately, the targeted vigilante still took a lot of damage. Heck, it was sheer luck he even survived that first wave. Now, just a week later, he was still in poor condition.

But, nothing ever could stop him from answering the hero's call.

So, when Lizard, one of the villains who'd escaped punishment after the initial bout of violence, showed up wrecking havoc, it was a no-brainer for the wall-crawler - he had to step it.

Unfortunately, as previously mentioned, he was still pretty banged up from the first brawl. It was easy for the reptilian mutant to get the upper hand. Since the fight had begun, Spider-Man had taken every hit you could think of. He was tossed into buildings, hurled into the pavement, punched into oblivion - you name it, it happened. Lizard wasn't letting up just because Spider-Man was a bit worn out.

So, yeah, Spider-Man was going to die. Every New Yorker knew it. Last week, they got to watch him narrow avoid death, but this week the Grim Reaper was back to finish the job.

"D-Doc," Spider-Man groaned, shifting from his sprawled out position on some totaled car. His last hope seemed to be appealing to the human side of Lizard, Dr. Connors. "I know... you don't... w-want to d-do..."

Stalking his prey with a sinister grin, Lizard spoke, his voice crackling and lisping over each syllable. "Connors is gone, just like you will be soon."

"That's... a bit dark."

"I can't wait to taste y-"

"Hey!" The woman was blurry from the vigilante's warped perspective, but he made out her red hair against her dark silloette easily enough. She seemed to be throwing... something. Is she trying to hit Lizard? She's going to get herself killed! "Leave Spider-Man alone!"

For a few seconds, Lizard's attention was completely diverted. Seeming to have concluded that there was no way Spider-Man could even stand, he approached the civilian offender. She was trembling, but she didn't back down. She had seen the tape from the last fight, and she refused to abandon the lone hero just like what had happened then.

"Why you," Lizard growled over the sound of a motorcyclist screeching to a halt and narrowly avoiding crashing into the fight, "I'll crush you l-"

"Can it, Liz; no one cares," Spider-Man grunted, landing a web on the villains elbow and yanking. He wouldn't let an innocent take the beating that belonged to him, no matter how much he knew it would hurt. "I mean, what is it with you baddies and monologuing? If you're going to kill me, take your bite already! All the rest just feels like theatrics at this point."

"That's gold coming from you," a new voice laughed. Every eye turned to peer at the motorcyclist. "I mean, c'mon, you're basically the king of talking, which is saying something. I do get the displeasure of working with Tony Stark."

"Oh? Care to share, Mr. Hot Wheels?" Spider-Man quipped back, equally as thrilled at the prospect of help as the crowd was.

The rider took his helmet off with a smirk and quickly slipped on a quiver and grabbed a bow from where they'd been attached to his vehicle. "Hot Wheels is a cool name, but I actually go by Hawkeye. Think I should rebrand?"

"It's up to you, but Hot Wheels definitely has a nice ring to it."

Lizard, not-so-surprisingly, wasn't a fan of the new arrival. "I'll kill you, too!" he roared. Without any second thoughts, he charged the newcomer, who jumped out of the way with the grace of someone much smaller than giant lizard size.

"How about no?" Hawkeye offered, quickly rushing to Spider-Man's side while the crook recovered. "How're you holding up?"

"I've been a lot better."

"Looks like you got some good hits in before he exploited the result of last week."

"His right shoulder should be pretty busted up."

"Believe me, it is. Can you stand?"

Spider-Man's feeble attempt only ended with him falling off of the car and face-planting into the road. "No," he groaned.

"Yikes. Give me a minute to take care of this guy, and then you're top priority." Hawkeye received a weary thumbs up in response. The archer turned to face the villain and nocked an electric arrow. As soon as the shot was clear, the missile was flying through the air, and it landed right in the mutant's right shoulder. Energy pulsed through the monster, who was quickly rendered unconscious.

"That was quick," Spider-Man commented.

"Yeah, well, it would have taken a lot longer had you not already made an opening for the shot. The rest of his skin is too thick. Anyways, you down with heading back to the Tower to get patched up?"

There was a bear of silence. "You're not going to hound me for disappearing last week, are you? Because I wasn't able to-"

"We saw the footage on the news," Hawkeye grimaced, pulling the red and blue clad male to his feet and supporting him. "We owe you an apology. We jumped to conclusions, and it almost cost you your life."

"Water under the bridge," Spider-Man's shrugged. At least, he shrugged as much as he could with his wounds. "I almost die a lot, so it's not anything new, don't worry."

Hawkeye gave him an odd look. "That's not in the slightest even remotely reassuring."