四 | Find an incentive and live

silver lining

Itachi blinked as he looked down at the bento box, and then at Kuina

A soft sigh parted his lips as he combed his wet hair back and walked over to her. "Sit up," he commanded.

She gulped, refusing to comply even though something within his calm tone of voice sent chills down her spine.

He stood over her as he spooned up the rice and lightly blew on it, letting the steam rise into the air. He glanced at her. "Sit up, Fragrance."

Kuina's breath quickened, and for some reason, she found herself sitting up upon his command. She bit her lips as she leaned back against the wall, refusing to look into his eyes.

He crouched and held the spoon out to her. "Eat."

She lowered her gaze, fiddling with her thumbs. "I don't want to."

He tilted his head to the side. "Why is that?"

She swallowed the bitter lump inside her throat, her nails digging into her own skin. "I have to die. My clansmen are all dead, I, too, should be dead."

He listened and his gaze hardened even though his face remained expressionless. "Life does not work like that."

She clenched her fists, and with every ounce of energy, she dared herself to look up at him. But when their gaze subtly met for the shortest moment, she instantly looked away, completely flustered.

She swallowed, trying to find her voice. "C-Can you just let me die?" Her voice cracked out as she furled the blanket in her palms.

He looked at her wearily before letting out a sigh. "It may be so that I cannot care less if you die, but my mission is to deliver you alive to the hideout."

She took a sharp breath, her eyes beginning to sting. "I know it's your leader who wants my power, but you see, I've always been very weak and useless in my clan. I can't help you guys. So, just let me go, alright?" She lowered her gaze, her brows drawing together as her voice scraped out of her throat in a soft whisper, "I know you're a good person, I saw your past and future. You know what it feels like to want to die. . ." She trailed off when she caught his gaze which was as cold and bleak as winter.

He lifted his chin slightly, looking at her through his lashes with his eyes that were as intricate and dark as an abyss. "Then you are wrong. I have never been a good person. Whatever you saw with that Fragrance power of yours is a mere deception," he spoke, his voice rumbled out deep and fearsome. "Save your wretched beg for mercy for someone else, it repulses me."

Her breath hitched in her throat at his blunt words. She instantly shrunk back, too afraid to beg him for death anymore. Something about this man was just so intimidating that even though she saw through his life, she felt utterly afraid. She clenched her fists as tension hung thick in the air.

Itachi watched her briefly before at last, he cast his penetrating gaze away. "You have never left the hibiscus field all your life, am I right?" He suddenly questioned, altering the topic.

She crumpled the blanket, too afraid to look up at him or talk to him. She swallowed. "Y-Yeah?" she managed to say.

"Then, don't you ever want to find out what's out there?"

Kuina blinked, not quite sure what he was getting at. His face was completely stoned, making her unable to read him. Her brows furrowed as she nodded. "I have, but everyone told me it's dangerous."

"If you have, then here is your chance," he said, his dark eyes completely cold, contrasting how manipulating and persuasive his words sounded. He held the spoon out to her. "Eat up."

Kuina gazed down at the teriyaki chicken, the delicious smell dispersing into the air. She clenched her fists, shaking her head. "I'm not hungry. I'm not eating, you can't convince me—" she was cut short when her stomach suddenly growled. Her eyes widened in embarrassment as she held onto her stomach that was quenching in hunger.

Itachi's face remained unwavering but a subtle taunt filled his eyes. He nodded slowly. "Very well then. If you are not hungry, then I will put it away."

Her breath hitched as she looked up at him. A rush of panic, hunger, and a survival instinct shot through her, and at that moment, every rational thought completely left her. Before he could put the food away, she quickly grabbed onto his hand and desperately shoved the spoon into her mouth.

An explosive taste filled her tongue. Her breath quickened and her heart hammered hard against her chest. She munched hungrily, and for some reason, tears began to pool in her eyes.

It tasted like life.

She sniffled, all her senses were lost as she snatched the bento box and spoon from him.

Without caring for the world, she began spooning up the rice and gobbling it down like a ravenous animal. Tears and snots miggled on her face, and even if she didn't want to admit it, the meal felt like the tastiest one in her life.

Itachi watched her, his brows drawing together in repulse. "Slowly," he muttered before he stood up and took a step away from her.

He looked at her through his strands of dark hair that cast an intimidating shadow across his face and grimaced. "I am not an optimistic person, and I do not like sugarcoating my words. You will never be safe within this world. Even if I do not hurt you, others will," he spoke, his words harsh and barren. "But life has given you a second chance, do not toss it away. Find an incentive and live."

She sniffled at his words as she choked on the rice and her tears. She wiped her eyes with her arm and nodded.

For some reason, after eating, she just didn't want to die. And for some reason, his utterly cold and bitter words made her want to live.

Although she didn't know what her purpose would be in living in such a cruel world, at that moment, she just thought that as long as she got to eat delicious food like this everyday, it was all worth it.

*

𝐹𝑅𝐴𝐺𝑅𝐴𝑁𝐶𝐸
うちはイタチ