五十七 | Have you ever loved me?

五十七
the rain had stopped

Kuina's eyes fluttered open again some time before dawn to the sound of birds chirping mellowly by the window lattice

She blinked the remnant of tears in her eyes from last night, and she realised she was laying in Itachi's arms. His chest rose and fell softly beneath her cheek, the warmth from his body made her want to melt down and return to her peaceful sleep.

She quickly shook her head as she pushed herself to sit up and glanced over at his resting face, watching the clear creases of pain and distress that flawed his demeanour. Her eyes grew with grief as she mesmerised every perfect feature on him one last time. And as she sat there, his arms wrapping around her, she wished such an intimate moment would last forever.

But she could only let out a tired sigh as she glanced out the window at the sky that was beginning to glow with a warm yellow hue. The rain had stopped. The sky was clear, only left with fresh morning dew, dripping tearfully from the rooftop, to remind one that there was once rain.

Closing her eyes and as gently as she could, she pushed herself away from his embrace and stood up. Surprisingly, he wasn't disturbed from his sleep. She looked at him one last time, and with a deep breath and with everything in her, she turned away. Grabbing her cloth that was now dried by the fireplace and slipping it on, she made her way out of the room before eventually leaving the small hut.

The fresh morning air from outside bit against her skin, the freshness of the rain that had cleansed the land last night almost brought her a sense of relief.

Before her, she was greeted with the tombstone of the Kaori Clan. Perhaps, it wasn't too bad to be reunited and return to the soil where she should have been if it weren't for the mercy of fate.

Now that it was near-morning, and with the clear sky, the place didn't feel as unsettling. As she was familiar with the terrain herself, having grown up there, she exited the shrine and headed up the path towards the hibiscus field. It didn't take her long before she reached the field that used to once stand valiant: her home.

The red of the hibiscus had been stripped, leaving nothing but a colourless field. But as she walked towards the cliff that looked out to the land below, she found the place rather beautiful. She glanced out at the sky, the wind softly brushed against her face as sunlight began to seep from the clouds.

Kuina let out a soft breath, for some reason she felt calm and at peace. She already knew Itachi's intentions. She wasn't as stupid as she looked. But for some reason, she didn't feel much fear.

He was planning to kill her during this sweet trip because her existence would cause a never-ending war. She smiled as she looked up at the sky. He was always a person who valued peace more than anything. And he was always kind and a person who would sacrifice his own happiness for the world. He was selfless. For that, she would never blame him. She would forgive him. She would be more than willing to die beneath his blade in this once beautiful flower field if that were truly his wish.