五十四 | She mean something, doesn't she?

五十四
a world worth saving

It was mid rainy season and although it might not be the best time to travel, it was also the period when nature sprouted its roots with the most flourishing life

It was mid rainy season and although it might not be the best time to travel, it was also the period when nature sprouted its roots with the most flourishing life. And as time was ticking day by day not waiting for a single soul, once the rain briefly stopped, and the soft morning beam graced the land, Itachi decided it was the time.

He took the Fragrance out of the hideout and towards the hibiscus field. As they left the hideout, his heart quenced as he watched the Fragrance bid her farewell to Kisame and Deidara, who thought that they were truly going on a date.

She left the hideout with a smile, and not once did she look back, while he could barely keep up his calm expression. He made several glances back at the hideout, as if his heart were telling him to turn back. Yet, his stature kept walking, as if it were his nature to take on the duty.

The Fragrance did notice how unnerved he was, but she did not speak of it. Instead, she wore a smile, telling him of her excitement for their date.

"Does someone like you even know what couples do on a date?" she questioned him when they arrived at the foot of the mountain that leads up to the hibiscus field.

He kept his expression stoic as he looked ahead. "Yes?"

She nodded slowly. "Well, It's not like you at all to offer me something so . . . unprofessional," she remarked.

He raised his brows at her words. "Oh right. You would think so. You even think I am - what was the word you used again - abstinent? Celebate?"

She pressed her lips into a thin line as she nodded, her face seemingly serious.

"You know nothing then," he concluded as he began to see the outline of a small village situated at the foot of the hibiscus mountain. "Don't get so excited. I went on dates like this all the time back in the day. Going on another date is nothing new; it is quite child play," he told her, not wanting her to catch on to how off he must have been offering her a romantic date.

To be honest, even up until now, Itachi wasn't quite sure why he even offered to go on a romantic date with the Fragrance in the first place. For the foremost, he was not good nor fitted to act like a good date. He never considered this sort of thing ever since he was born. To act romantic and show some sort of lovey-dovey, rainbow and sunshine acts was pathetic to him. Like a honeymoon phase, these sorts of acts were short-lived and held empty meanings.

But he just wanted the Fragrance to feel happy for once. In this life, there was nothing at all that he could do for her. There was nothing he could give her. The only thing he could do, which would never suffice for the sins he was about to commit, was to fulfil her wish to have a short-lived relationship with him.

Itachi was certain, he did not love her. He was numbed to sentiment and such things as affection. In fact, he did not believe he understood what love - one that was not of a familial basis - was. He was fully convinced that all of these, all of the care and kindness that he was showing her, must be out of gratitude. For the time they spent, it was chaotic, but at the end of the day, he could not deny that the period that she had come into his life was the time he felt the most . . . happy. So why not if he could make her happy too?