三十一 | But I'm still here, aren't I?

三十一
memories

Ever since Itachi had rescued the Fragrance from Orochimaru's captivity, he had been distracting himself with gathering information on Danzo's motives and Sasuke's well-being

Ever since Itachi had rescued the Fragrance from Orochimaru's captivity, he had been distracting himself with gathering information on Danzo's motives and Sasuke's well-being. They were the best ways to distract himself from that troublesome little thing.

But vainly, that didn't seem to last very long when he was forced out of his room due to aggravating commotions in the living room. When he made his way there, he spotted that every Akatsuki member was present, including the Fragrance.

They all stood in a circle, blocking him from viewing what shocked them. The Fragrance in particular was shaking from head to toes, her face was completely agitated, and her breathing was rugged.

As Itachi was about to walk over, the Fragrance turned away from the crowd, a twisted expression etched across her face. She pushed past everyone and even past him without waving at him like she normally would.

Itachi raised his brows slightly as he calmly walked over to the crowd. Right in the middle of the commotion was Deidara who was completely battered. One of his arms was severed off and blood dripped onto the waxed wooden floor. Right beside Deidara was Sasori, except it was only his exterior puppet.

There was a layer of tears in Deidara's eyes, but he furrowed his brows to remain tough. Itachi instantly knew that, to his condolences, Sasori had faced his demise.

He glanced at the broken puppet once more and then at the Fragrance's room at the end of the corridor. The door was wide open as if she had rushed in there with reckless haste.

He sighed as he, almost instinctively, tore himself from the crowd and headed towards her. He knew that a sensitive woman like her probably could not accept the death of even an acquaintance she barely knew. Like how, she would shed a gallon of tears just because he had a shallow stab wound on him, Sasori's death would break her.

How helplessly miserable she was. Thus, he decided he would check on her to make sure she didn't do anything stupid.

He walked into her open room and spotted her sitting behind her bed, hugging onto her knees.

He crouched to her level, feeling utterly uncomfortable seeing her broken like that. "Fragrance," he called. "You barely know Sasori, why are you so helplessly sad?"

She probed her head up at him, and to his surprise, she wasn't crying. Only a layer of tears lingered in her eyes.

Her brows scrunched up in pain as she tore her gaze away from him. "I'm not sad. I'm just frustrated," she spoke, her voice sounding like a soft whimper.