五十九 | You are so unbearably oblivious

五十九
his heart

Kuina regained consciousness again in a dimly lit room

Kuina regained consciousness again in a dimly lit room. She blinked, trying to adjust her eyes to the surroundings, and she realised she was laying on some sort of hospital bed. A sick smell of herbs radiated thickly in the air, almost suffocating her senses. She winced slightly as she forced herself to sit up, clutching onto her shoulder that was tingling with pain.

"Oh, you're awake," a kind female voice spoke, startling her, and she snapped her gaze to the direction of the voice.

There stood an old woman with lines of wrinkles and a slightly hunched over back. She did not look threatening as she gave Kuina a warm smile.

Kuina furrowed her brows as she tried to remember what had happened before she lost consciousness, and it didn't take long for everything to come flooding back to her like a broken dam. That was right, she had almost just died, and she must have fainted from the loss of blood.

She blinked as she scanned the surroundings, realising she was inside some sort of apothecary with walls towering with shelves of medicine. Her head began to throb as she glanced over at the old grandma. "W-Where am I?" she stuttered.

The grandma gave her a tender smile. "Don't be afraid. You're at the best apothecary at the foot of the crimson hibiscus field. Your husband brought you here because you were very badly injured, but don't worry, I've treated your wound and changed your clothes. You'll be healed and replenished in no time!"

Kuina clutched her forehead in her palm, feeling muddled. "My husband?"

"You're Mrs. Uchiha, correct?" she asked.

Kuina blinked but then she felt completely flustered as she looked down at her lap. "N-no, I'm not. . ."

"Let me go and fetch him for you real quick," the old lady spoke with a triumphant smile, cutting Kuina off.

"No, it's fine, I–" Before she could finish her sentence, the old lady delightedly skipped out of the room, leaving Kuina alone in the silence.

Her brows drew together as she lowered her gaze, feeling uneasy. To be quite frank, she didn't really want to see him right now, partly because she had just thrown a tantrum, but mostly because something in her heart ached at the thought of him. A sigh left her lips as she slowly lay back down onto the pillow with a frown.

So, he did spare her. And so did he almost killed her.

Kuina didn't know whether or not to feel relief. She brought her hand to her wound, realising the bleeding had stopped, but it had left a large scar that was still aching and numbed. And although it didn't hurt anymore physically, she felt her heart quenched with pain.

Kuina didn't blame him at all for causing the wound. She had been willing to let him take her life until the very last moment, so for him to follow through with it, wasn't his fault. Besides, she knew he thought killing her was the best option, and it really was. And she knew he didn't want to do it.