三十九 | Tell me if it hurts

三十九
warm and dark night

Kuina gritted her teeth as she threw the kunai as hard as she could to vent her frustration

She was frustrated. No matter how hard she tried to throw the kunai, she just couldn't hit the target. The sun had already set, and the night sky blanketed over her, stranding her alone in the cold and dark night.

Her stomach growled angrily, her throat burned from thirst, and her face was filled with sweat and tears. Her whole body was bruised, especially her legs from the amount of time she fell. But she knew she must keep going. She couldn't go back inside until she hit the target.

Itachi was an epitome of strictness. She knew he had good intentions; he wanted to make sure she pushed past her limits and improve herself. But still, he was really harsh. At least, he could have let her have some water and food. Or at least, let her treat her wounds. But she knew he couldn't care less about such things, so she kept it in.

She looked up at the night sky, and she knew that at this rate, she would be out there until morning came. She panted heavily, terribly exhausted, as she glanced around the area. And seeing as no one was there to keep watch of her, she thought it would be alright to take a quick rest.

With that, she dragged herself to a tree trunk and plopped down. She stretched out her aching legs and slowly rolled the long hemline of her dress up to expose the bruises on her skin. She winced but before she even had the time to examine them, she heard a rattling footstep approaching her.

Instantly, she was jolted out from what she was doing. She quickly rolled her dress back to cover her legs and snapped her gaze up, her eyes meeting against Itachi's dark ones.

Her breathing quickened instantly. "I wasn't slacking off," she quickly blurted out before he could say anything. "I-I was just catching my breath," she stuttered before she gulped down the burn in her throat. "I'll continue now." With that she tried to push her weak body to stand.

"Sit back down," he spoke, his barren voice chilling her bones.

Kuina probed her head up at him as he stood over her. He looked down at her through his lashes, his dark eyes seemed distant and cold, and rather brooding - an expression she recognised to be one when he was unimpressed.

She let out a trembling breath. "Itachi, I really wasn't slacking off," she muttered.

His jaw clenched as he crouched in front of her. "Show me."

She blinked, confused. "Show you my throwing? I still haven't master it and–"

"Your wounds," he cut her off as he gestured at her legs. "Show me your wounds."

Her breath grew sharp, and her eyes wavered. She shook her head. "It's nothing."

He snapped his dark eyes up at her. "Fragrance," he spoke, his voice low and threatening.