六十 | What do you mean by our child?

六十
bright present, dark future

Kuina looked at him flabbergasted at his statement as she backed away from him, holding her fists to her chest

Kuina looked at him flabbergasted at his statement as she backed away from him, holding her fists to her chest. "W-Why do you have to say it like that?" she blurted out, her face flushing red.

Itachi tilted his head to the side slightly, realising that perhaps he was being too forefront. After all, she had always been ingenuous and sensitive.

"You wanted to hear my heart, and you wanted me to be straightforward," he spoke slowly as he watched her feverish state. "You always wanted it, and now that I said what you want to hear, why are you disconcerted?"

Her brows furrowed before she averted her gaze to her feet. "W-Well, you've been rejecting me for so long, of course, I need some time to process it."

He leaned back against the chair. A sigh parted his lips at her words. Perhaps, he really had been too forefront, and at that moment, he realised that maybe she was not ready for these things.

But he had found it necessary to tell her, to let her know. When they had such little time left together, every moment was too precious to be wasted.

These past few days after he had almost repeated the massacre, he had been thinking through a lot of matters. He knew what it meant if he spared her; all of the effort and sacrifices he had made to keep the world at peace would be in vain. What more, he had a duty to carry, to die upon the hands of his little brother. And he knew his own health more than anyone.

Sparing her would mean he would have to make her live and suffer all alone when he left her behind. Then was it really sparing her, when death would have been her mercy?

But only when she had begged to live at that moment, that he finally understood. What she wanted was not for him to think for her, what would make her happy was not just to die to save herself from grief - for she would rather be happy at the little time they had left together than never at all.

Although he knew he must worry about the future soon, at least during this trip out together, he would succumb to her, he would live the moment, and he would not think of anything else but her.

After falling into a deep thought, leaving silence to hang thick in the air, he finally let out a soft sigh. "I just thought that since we have such less time together, if I do not tell you my heart and be straightforward with you now, then when?"

She flinched slightly at his words before she slowly brought her gaze up from her feet to look at him, her eyes slightly wavering.

He returned her gaze, and as he looked into her warm round eyes, he found his softened. He let out a soft breath as he beckoned her to him. "Come here."

Her brows drew together, and pressing her lips together, she allowed herself to walk back before him. She stood in the space between his legs, her head bowing down, staring at her feet.