七 | You are hasty, Itachi

blossoms in blood

Lightning flickered across the ominous sky as they set off to find an apothecary

Kuina had never thought begging Itachi to take her to the doctor would actually work. The fact that he would comply with her made her realise how lucky she was to be the Fragrance.

The rain poured heavily onto the branches of trees overhead that provided them little shelter. Kuina was heaved on Kisame's shoulder like a sack of sand as they travelled through the forest at full speed. Her vision was hazy as she peered up at the stark path that lead into the endless void of the night.

"Why did you even insist we set off straight away just because this little thing complained about her pain? Seriously, we should have just waited for the rain to die down first," Kisame complained, his voice raising to talk through the harsh sound of the rain.

"Travelling at night would be better for avoiding the enemies," Itachi replied, his voice deep with subtle annoyance.

Kisame grumbled as he rolled his eyes. "Then why do I have to carry her?" he mumbled. "She's super light, you could carry her too."

"I am tired," Itachi said blandly.

Kisame looked at his partner and let out a sigh. "Well, who is to blame? I already told you to sleep, didn't I?"

Itachi said nothing as he kept his gaze ahead. Kuina looked over at him, and although the rain veiled his features, she could tell that he was terribly worn out. A part of her felt saddened, knowing this man was terminally ill, yet he still stood tall as if he were okay.

She shook her head as she averted her gaze away from him, regretting having seen his life. She knew she always had a soft spot for anyone whose past and future she had seen.

One time, she saw through the life of an old farmer who lived at the outskirts of the hibiscus field. And when he died, she remembered crying for weeks. His life felt like her life; his future was something she knew, yet she couldn't change.

She never wished to use her power to see other's lives again, but she decided to see Itachi's, for she thought it would be advantageous for her to be knowledgeable of her captor. And since it had come to this, she would harden her heart, so that she would never have to suffer from the same pain she did with the farmer.

Her train of thoughts erupted when Itachi and Kisame suddenly came to a stop in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by thousands of towering trees. The rain poured onto them heavily, drenching their garments.

Kuina shivered as she glanced over at Itachi, confused as to why they had stopped.

Itachi looked exhausted and the grimace that overcame his face made him look intimidating. "They are here," he muttered in his low voice. "Protect the Fragrance at all costs."