四十四 | Your neck is full of red marks

四十四
withered flower

After Itachi had managed to make the Fragrance stop crying, he urged her to rest as it was already getting late

After Itachi had managed to make the Fragrance stop crying, he urged her to rest as it was already getting late. She didn't seem like she wanted to talk anymore, and she looked exhausted. And once she lay down on the bed, she instantly fell asleep.

Itachi, on the other hand, couldn't get much sleep that night. He was already having a headache reflecting on his own thoughts and actions that day, and Kisame's continuous splashing in the hot spring also didn't make anything better. It was only a few hours before dawn, after he decided to take his medication, that he was able to take a short rest.

The next day soon arrived, and they decided to set off right away after everyone had gotten ready. To Itachi's surprise, the Fragrance seemed to be rather energetic as if she had completely forgotten what had happened last night. He didn't know if it were merely her attempt to shun away the thoughts that saddened her, but either way, he was somewhat relieved she was in a better spirit.

But although she seemed to be happy, there was still tension between them as they walked toward the Village Hidden in the Stone. The atmosphere hung tight as the three of them walked in absolute silence.

Kisame, in particular who was walking in between them, seemed terribly unsettled by the atmosphere as he eyed the both of them back and forth, his brows raising. At long last, he let out a grunt as he cleared his throat. "So, where are we heading again? To capture the four-tails?" he asked, shattering the silence.

The Fragrance kept quiet, while Itachi let out a tired sigh. "I have decided that it would be too dangerous for the Fragrance to be with us whilst capturing the four-tail. Hence, we should only just survey Iwagakure to be more knowledgeable of the terrain on this trip - so, we would cause as few casualties when we capture the four-tail later on. "

Kisame nodded slowly, crossing his arms. "You're all about causing no casualties, Itachi. That makes us look cowardly."

Itachi glanced at Kisame but said nothing towards his complaint.

Kisame pressed his lips into a thin line before he smiled smugly, seemingly not ready to end their conversation. He turned to the Fragrance, his sly nature surfacing. "Anyways, Kuina-chan, did you get hurt?" he suddenly questioned.

The Fragrance looked up at Kisame with raised brows before she shook her head. "Why would you ask that?"

"Well" - he pointed at her neck before a smile broke out on his lips - "Your neck is full of red marks."

Her eyes popped wide as her face instantly flushed red. Itachi furrowed his brow as he wanted to terminate his partnership with Kisame right at that moment.

She was terribly flustered as she panickily brushed her brown hair to the front, covering her neck. She cleared her throat. "I-It's nothing much. Just . . . just mosquito bites," she muttered quickly as she lowered her gaze to her feet, walking stiffly.