四十七 | It is yours to take

四十七
silent truth

Kuina smiled wearily as she complied

Kuina smiled wearily as she complied. Cautiously, she took a seat on the bed beside him. She watched as he flicked open the antiseptic lid before pouring the liquid onto a cotton pad. He glanced at her wound before bringing the cotton to it, causing her breath to grow sharp as she remained still.

He did not glance up at her face as he concentrated on cleaning her wound. And she wasn't sure whether he was truly oblivious or pretending to be oblivious to the obvious tension he was bringing upon her.

"So tell me," Itachi suddenly spoke, shattering her thoughts. "Why did Hidan hurt you?"

She looked up at him, not expecting his question. "O-Oh, about that. Well, he told me he liked me, but I rejected him. . ."

"You rejected him? Why so?"

At his words, her brows scrunched up and she frowned. He clearly knew why she would reject him, so she was not sure why he would find the need to question her. A loud huff left her lips as she turned away from him, not giving him a reply.

His brows arched up at her action. "Don't avoid my question."

She crossed her arms, puffing her cheeks out. "Well, I don't like Hidan," she told him, her words blunt. "You know well whom I like. Do I have to tell you over and over again, just for you to reject me over and over again? I don't want to talk to you about this anymore."

At her words, he seemed slightly taken aback but it had completely made him take back his words, and he decided not to press her on. He tore his gaze away from and instead, he focused on fiddling with the bear band-aid to peel off the sticker.

"I see," he finally spoke at last, breaking the silence. "Hidan has always been volatile with his temper, of course, he could not take a rejection," he muttered as a grimace overcame his expression. "It is to be expected. After all, Hidan is a dangerous criminal, a terrorist, and a murderer." He inhaled deeply before he glanced up at her, a look of pain flashed over his eyes. "But Kuina, I, too, am a dangerous criminal, a terrorist, and a murderer. Between Hidan and I, there is not much of a difference."

At his words, Kuina instantly snapped her gaze up at him, knowing well what he was trying to imply through his words. Her lips dropped into a frown as she shook her head. "No."

"No?"

"You're not like Hidan," she uttered, shaking her head again. "You are a good person who sacrificed your whole life for peace. . ." she trailed off, her fists clenching tighter onto the fabric of her dress. "Besides, I know that unlike Hidan, you wouldn't hurt me."

His jaw clenched, his eyes icy like a blade. "How are you certain?"

Her breath grew shaky. "I-If you ever truly wanted to hurt me, then you wouldn't be treating my wound. You wouldn't have saved me countless times. You wouldn't be so kind to me."