Chapter 50

——————Mrs. Ryder POV——————

My husband told me he had an important errand to run and that I should stay put but, it's nearly been an hour! I wish I could stand up to him... I wish he cared the way he used to... But, just because I wish something were true doesn't mean it is.

When I heard the commotion between my only living son and his father, I swear my heart finally broke... Oak is so strong and I hope that his father's mistreatment will only make him stronger, not corrupt him.

There are days where I almost forget one of my sons are gone... I would almost rush to Oaks room but remember that Spruce is gone. He has been for 12 years... I doubt Oak remembers him and the Coven definitely doesn't. Spruce was always quiet as a child and Oak used to be so outgoing! But times have changed, Spruce has left the world and Oak has become a nervous wreck. I don't know what to do anymore...

I would stand up to my husband, I really would, but I can't... He would hunt down the only family I have left besides Oak, my little sister. She doesn't deserve to be dragged into this mess... She's the only reason I'm still around. If she were gone, I would have succeeded all those years ago... But she found me before I could leap off the tallest cliff. It wouldn't have been painless, because I would have drowned in the deep water below. However, I would get mercy, mercy from the world in which I suffered. I would've been free from the chains that bound me invisibly to our own monster of a father...

However, she found me and relit the spark that I had let die out. Even now, she is the biggest support I have. Her and Oak are the only ones whom I endure my pain to be with...

*slam!*

I jump up to a standing position and look towards the door. Immediately I see my husband's form and suppress a shiver of fear. He stomps over to me and towers over my petite frame.

"Why didn't you open the door for me woman?! I knocked! Do I need to remind you on how to open a door?" I shrink at his tone, my face whitening but I don't dare to speak.

"Do you hear me woman!? I am talking to you! *slap* LISTEN TO ME WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU *slap* GOT IT!?" I nod frantically, trying not to let my tears free.

"Then I will ask you again, why didn't you open the door for me!?" I know answering will make him mad but not answering will make him madder...

"I-I, I di-didn't h-ear y-you..." My words are barely audible let alone coherent. An annoyed rumble sounds from my husband as he shakes his head at me while clicking his tongue.

"Tsk tsk tsk... you know better than that... you know you should always listen for me. I don't like that you've seemed to forget your place as my wife..." a knot forms in my gut, I know exactly where this is going and I don't know if I can take it. I still haven't fully recovered from the injuries he gave me after the Power Passing Ceremony...

"I-I-I'm s-so-sorry... I-I di-didn't me-an to..." There is no hiding the amount that I'm shaking anymore, I feel like one of those massage chairs...

"Heheheh, Oh darling, you should know by now... apologizing doesn't fix your mistakes..." He walks tauntingly to the door and locks it, using the additional bolt and chain locks too. "Do you remember what does fix it?" He has a menacing grin on his face and I begin shaking more if that's even possible. He walks back to me painstakingly slow watching as my pathetic attempt at being calm continues to unravel.

I feel my legs beginning to give out and I don't even try to catch myself. I close my eyes bracing for impact but it doesn't come... I slowly open my eyes and see a flash of worry in my husband's eyes that disappears completely milliseconds after. I feel pathetic that I had believed who he had been resurfaced, that version of him is gone... It died along with his parents. The part of him that I had grown to love and trust, gone forever in the blink of an eye. I guess that in a way, my 'mate' died that day, not just a piece of him...

Sometimes I wish the man I love would come back... I know he's buried too deep though. All that's left is the power hungry monster that took over.

He stands up, me in his arms, then tosses me onto the wooden chair we have. I bow my head as he walks over and picks both me and the chair up. He makes his way to our walk-in closet, shutting and locking its door too. Next he pushes some of his clothes aside and opens the secret door before shoving me and the chair inside.

"Go on, you know the drill..." I shakily rise from the chair and move it to the centre of the room, I then kneel beside it and gulp as I grab one of the four silver chains then clasp it onto the leg of the chair. I chain each of the legs down, the silver burning me each time. I then take a seat and wait, just staring at the wall that the door is hidden.

Hopefully he decides that starving me is the only punishment I should receive... I doubt it though. He usually starves me, then beats me and then if he feels that I still have to be taught a lesson he rapes me. I really don't want to go through all three parts of punishment...

The door cracks open a little bit and I huddle into a ball on the chair. I peek at who is at the door when I don't hear my husband's stomping footsteps. My eyes widen fearfully as they focus on the figure at the door.

"Mom..?" All it takes is that one simple word and tears pour from my eyes like a rushing river.

"O-Oak..?" My voice cracks and I hold in my sobs.

"A-Are you okay..?" It hurts me to do but I nod unconvincingly. "Mom... I can tell you're not..."

"I-I will be... G-o... B-before h-he gets back..!" Reality came crashing back and I frantically tell Oak to leave me here.

Oak looks in my eyes and he must see my fear because I see a few tears roll down his face but he nods slowly, "o-okay..."