Chapter 56

————————Reiya POV————————

Today has been hectic to say the least... Oak definitely had a tougher day though. I can't imagine your own father morphing into a monster over time and then eventually killing your mother. My first impression of him had been so shallow, he is so much more and he goes through so much more than the average supernatural. In a sense him and I are not very different but it must hurt more for direct family turning against you... After everything today and what he must have been through during his life so far, I have to say he has come out relatively unscathed.

Currently we are on his bed, I'm sitting snd he's laying down, almost exactly how we were earlier today... One major difference is that he's laying down with his head resting on my lower thigh. I'm playing with his hair and Oak is pretty much asleep. I don't blame him, it's been emotionally exhausting today. Honestly I'm surprised that Mia hasn't made much of a fuss since Ivy brought her here...

Speaking of Ivy, I haven't gotten one frantic 'mama bear' message or a teasing one... actually I haven't heard from her since I told her I was going to stay here tonight. I hope Lyath isn't being too much of a pain.

I barely can hear it but Oak is very, very, quietly snoring which is perfect! Everyone's odd behaviour has been on my mind since I noticed it and I am determined to get to the bottom of this. Nothing will stop me, I will always find a way. Oak hasn't let his phone get out of his reach since the unfortunate discovery... Which is also a PLUS!! I easily grab his phone and just as I am about to try guessing his code when I notice he has Touch ID as well.

Slowly I lean over him a little and shimmy his arm closer so I can reach his hand. I gently grab it and then orient his phone so it will line up for the fingerprint scan. Luckily it actually works and I may or may not snoop around other apps than just messaging ones... >:3

(A 'little' snooping later)

Wow. Just wow. What does Ivy think she's doing?! Can they not tell how impatient Ivy is and that her sanity is going to be stretching thin because Sasha and Lyath were kidnapped?! Ugh... I am definitely going to message her about this later but first I need to feed Mia.

I slide my thigh out from under Oak's head, wait a second to see if he wakes up then I gently lift Mia from her impromptu crib made of a large box (no top), blankets and soft pillows. Mia just looks at me annoyed until her tummy rumbles, then she starts squirming around about to have a tantrum. I act fast and am able to avoid her alarm-like cries.

Deciding to leave the improvised crib alone for now I get back into Oak's bed, one-handedly pull his blankets over him, put Mia in between us and then get comfortable myself. Mia looks confused at first, but when Oak turns onto his side while sleeping, she rolled over to him a big smile on her face. I grab my phone and take a picture so I can gush about it tomorrow. Yawning, I let myself begin to fall asleep and the last thing I see is Oak unconsciously pulling Mia closer to cuddle.

(The following morning)

I stretch out cautiously and open my eyes to find both Oak and Mia watching me. Mia I can understand more since she's just extremely curious but Oak..? It's a bit weird...

I clear my throat, "Uhm... is there something on my face or..?"

"No, I'm just happily surprised that not only did you stay all night you also felt comfortable enough to sleep next to me, well almost haha" Mia claps and I feel confused for a moment.

Then I remember that she will develop a lot faster than the average human baby, since of course she was definitely not human. I smile and tickle Mia's tummy and she tries to roll away laughing. I internally groan but force myself to get out of bed to care for Mia.

Once both Mia and I are dressed I sit down on the bed, facing away from Oak for the most part. I begin to adjust my shirt to be able to feed her but I stop when I have that feeling of someone watching me. I turn my head and catch Oak shamelessly trying to take a peek.

"Nuh uh! You mister, can go stand in that corner," I point to the corner that is to my back, "you can sit down cross legged, and face the wall. None of this," I gesture to my self, "is free to ogle!" He's about to say something but I cut him off, "Don't try the second chance mate bullshit, I am not bound to you in any way at this point in time."

I think he finally realizes how intrusive and weird it is because his cheeks slightly turn pink and he actually goes into the corner, sits cross legged and faces the wall!

"Thank you." I turn my full attention back to Mia.

I feel extremely awkward so I'm really happy that Mia didn't take too long. I fix my shirt and stand then walk to him. He must be completely absorbed in his thoughts because I somehow manage to scare him! I tap his shoulder and he lets out the most adorable little squeak hehe!

"I-uh I'm done..." I don't even look him in his eyes despite the attitude I gave him seconds ago.

Mia claps and laughs melting the awkwardness, filling it with a light happiness. I tickle her a bit and she squirms like usual. As not to drop Mia, I take a seat on the bed. Oak chooses to sit beside me and for the first time ever, Mia reaches for him! Obviously don't want to waste this opportunity so I help him hold her then grab my phone quickly. Posing with a bright smile I take a picture of the three of us.

Normally I would add a few of the built in filters on my phone but both this phone and the one from last night remain the same. Instead, I add in the date for both and use the auto correcting feature. Since I hadn't let Oak see the pictures I tap the share icon then select his contact.

"image.1
image.2

Hope you like photos! 🥳"
•Reiya

Oak's phone chimes and he quirks an eyebrow at me. He opens the notification and I can tell he's shocked that I sent them to him, especially since I refused to let him look. I give a small smile and shrug. Carefully he adjusts his hold on Mia (who surprisingly fell asleep) then he puts his now free arm around me loosely.

"I'm not normally much of a photo person... but I think I can make an exception for you..." he smiles and gives me a gentle side hug/shoulder squeeze.

I let myself 'deflate' and lean into him, surprising the both of us. It's been what seems like forever since I truly felt open with a guy, I like this feeling. Blinking I look down at Mia still in his arm then back up to him, a hint of a smile on my face.

Slowly he leans towards me and I don't freeze like I expect, instead I lean in too. I can tell he expects to be the one who closes the slight gap but I smile mischievously and beat him to it.