12

After he whispered the word, he turned away and went to his team. It gave me no time to respond or even rationalise what had happened. What was he even sorry for?

"Are you okay, yn?" Ryan asked. I sniffed and wiped my wet eyes.

I nodded, and Ryan looked confused.

"You know them, don't you?" Ryan asked in a low voice.

I turn to him, unsure where this conversation was heading.

"You seem very invested in a match when you don't like sports..." he spoke softly. I wasn't sure if Ryan was disappointed or thought I lied about my interests.

"No, it just....its not how you think it is. I am not sure whether I am a sports person, but today..." I look down.

Ryan patted my shoulder.

"You said everything is random... it's related to today's match, right?" Ryan asked, mellow. I did not know what to answer. He realised...he was observing me.

"I am sorry...I just feel confused with everything," I mention. Ryan nods. Suddenly he gives a bright smile.

"Let's finish the date on a good note, shall we at least?" Ryan's eyes glimmered, although a little sad. Through my sad eyes, I gave a similar smile.

We decided to leave as Ryan saw how confused and uneasy I was feeling. 

As we left, the award ceremony started. I saw the Japan team members sad; taking the defeat not easy.

I got up, and Ryan followed me. My body and mind refused to say. I realise my fate was not in my control. I can do the least I can now leave and go home and sleep on it.

As I walked ahead, I looked at Ushijima, and a little disappointment overshadowed his stoic face. Meanwhile, others were either sobbing and looking down. The other team rejoiced and greeting the fans all over the stadium.

We walked out of the stadium. For some reason, I felt a few eyes followed me as I headed out. Or maybe I was too self-conscious.

I sat down near a bench outside. Ryan sat beside me.

"So you want to talk about it..." He asks. I look down, unsure of what to say.

"I know you don't like me that way y/n," Ryan says. I am suddenly lookup. I felt sorry. I really tried to like him.

"I am sorry..." I say.

"Don't be... we cannot force our hearts." Ryan smiles.

"I've known you for awhile y/n... I hoped I could make you like me. Until, today..." Ryan spoke.

"The thing is, I was optimistic all the time. I knew you never liked me, but you're way too kind y/n. You made sure your heart reciprocated with your kindness. It's my fault. I took advantage of your kindness and your friendship. You don't have to force yourself to like me..... You won't lose me y/n. We will always be friends..." Ryan wrapped his arms around my shoulder to bring comfort. I was almost going to sob.

"I am sorry.." I said, few soft tears falling slowly. My heart was sad yet relieved.

"How did you...know?" I ask. Ryan looks up at the sky and smiles. He takes a deep breath.

"You should ask when not how.." He looks at me slowly.

I kept silent but looked at him with curiosity. When?

"I saw how you looked at him...I knew then", He replies. I got caught off guard.

"Your eyes are different around him. I don't know much about how you met him and how far you guys know each other. I don't know much about him or who he is in person..." Ryan softly kept speaking. My heart got sadder.

"But I know you are confused... So, I have a suggestion for you y/n. Be kind to your heart instead of others." Ryan continued.

I nod.

"And as I said, will always be friends y/n." Ryan patted my shoulder.

I wiped my tears and gave him a soft hug.

"Thank you, Ryan. I feel much better. I promise to be your friend, as well." I sadly smile.

He nods back with a wide smile.

Suddenly my head felt fuzzy.

"Y/n..your face looks very red..." Ryan looked at me. He put his hands on my forehead. "Geez, you are burning..." He alarmed me.

"I think I got a fever..." I say. Ryan frowns.

"I should head home..." I reply. Ryan's face looked concerned.

"Do you want me to take you home?" Ryan asks. I shook my head.

"No, I am fine. I just need some time alone if that's okay.." I say. Ryan did not fight against my statement.

"Alright... but let me know when you reach home, okay?" Ryan replies.

I softly nod and smile. We hug each other once again and part our ways. As I walked, I looked behind; Ryan waved at me one last time. I waved with a smile. And slowly walked home.

I took out my earphones and played some soft music as I called a cab. I was too weak to walk.

I sat near the bus-stop and waited for the cab. My heartfelt a little better.

I got a text from Marie...

sooooo how was the date-? Marie
We decided to stay just friends...- I replied
awhh, poor you... :( - Marie,
no..poor Ryan. He knew. I feel super guilty,...- I replied.
Don't be. Don't force your heart to do something that it doesn't want. - Marie, 
That's what Ryan said too...- I reply.
Anyway, I'll text you later. Heading home rn. See you tomorrow at work...- I reply.
 Sure... see you, girl. Love u xx- Marie
  Love u :) - I reply.

I slowly see on my app, and the cab was near. I hurry near the pickup point.

It started snowing. I could still hear the noise from the stadium. I realised the award ceremony was over.

A double-decker bus passes by. And near the window?

It said, "team japan."

The bus pass right in front of me.

There he was, looking ahead. I softly look down, so he doesn't see me.

As it went ahead, I could see he turned back to look behind near the window. I quickly turn my back, once again hiding my face. 

Hoping he never saw me, miserably standing.