61

FLASHBACK

Ushijima struggled as he opened the fridge.

"NO" His mom yelled.

"How many times I told you? Our relatives laugh at us. Ever since...I married your dad. I regret every decision I make about you. Can't you stop eating for one day?" His mother yells.

"He is just a kid...." Ushijima's grandmother spoke. She cradled the kid in his arms.

"Don't mind Mumma...she is not well today again." Gran spoke softly.

Ushijima was used to it. He only ate when his mother was away from work. Single mother was hard for her. His dad left 3 months ago for the US. That was the last time he cried in front of someone when his dad kissed him goodbye.

He clutched the volleyball, and Gran patted his hair. As a Kid, he lost weight. 3 months ago, it wasn't the case.

Ushijima's mother would have mental breakdowns. She would take it out on him. His father couldn't take it anymore, so he left. He always wondered whether he was abandoned.

As Ushijima went to his room, he tried to eat the last candy his dad set out for him before leaving. He always gravitated to sweet things when he was stressed.

It was scary, and he would hide these candies from his mother. So it was only after she left, he would take one of those under his bed.

There were 120 candies in total; he counted himself. This one was last.

As he tried to take a bite, his mum entered. Mortified, he ended up dropping the candy.

His wrist was grabbed, and Ushijima was slapped.

"How dare you?" She yelled.

"Rei, STOP" Gran, yelled but it was too late.

Ushijima's eyes teared up. But he didn't cry. He felt no emotions. The journey of Stoic Ushijima hence began.

Rei, Ushijima's mother, stepped on that tiny candy and broke it. She repeatedly crushed the candy until it was mixed with the carpet.

The last memory of his father, gone!

"Why arent you crying, Toshi? CRY!!! SMILE!! DO SOMETHING!!!" His mother yelled.

"STOP REI STOP!!!" Gran yelled. Gran pushed Rei outside Ushijima's room and closed the door. She expected the child to be horrified, but Ushijima showed no emotions.

It's been like this for years. Nobody saw Ushijima cry.

As years went by, things got better. His mother sought mental help. His father re-contacted him. He was a star volleyball player. His maternal family stopped bothering him. He was not an embarrassment to anyone anymore.

But all wondered if anything could make Ushijima cry.

He did cry. Deeply, when Gran died.

It was 1 week before the under-25 finals. Gran would secretly arrange sweet things for him. Sang lullabies to him. She was home.

But when she died, nobody saw him cry. People called him heartless when he didn't shed any tears at her funeral.

Does he even show emotion?
He is not even crying.
Is he Abnormal?
Maybe because he is royalty, or is he heartless.
The family was doomed ever since Rei married Utsui.
Poor Mrs Ushijima, she didn't even receive her grandson's love.

He heard all of these things.

Mr Utsui heard those too, hence was also worried until Ushijima cried for y/n. Maybe y/n awoken a sense of humanity.