55

Flashback:

"Wakatoshi, are you excited for the trip?" one of his classmates asked.

Ushijima was stoic. He wasn't really into going on trips that he wasn't interested in, but his heart said otherwise. He loved stars, and he loved watching the sky change its colours. Always wondered what was beyond it. Maybe this trip wasn't bad at all.

"Ushijima? Are you secretly eating chips again? How many times we have told you not to eat it? It will affect your weight. " The coach replied.

"Don't listen to them. Here have some of my snacks." Tendou whispered to him.

Ushijima's eyes glittered. Ushijima wasn't allowed to eat sweets or anything junk related. His mother took his volleyball career ever since. He missed his father, who was now in the US.

Every time he tried to convince his mother that his father would take him for ice cream after practice, she would shut him up.

Ushijima's traumas made him hesitant to eat what he liked around his surroundings.

His teachers were instructed to watch his diet. He was bigger than his classmates. Always taller and bulkier. He seemed like the guy who could gain weight easily.

But he still found some comfort with his friend.

Ushijima and Tendou have been friends since then. Ushijima realised how Tendou creeped others out, but for Ushijima, he was like anyone else. He never understood how people valued looks when he always found himself attracted to kindness. To warmth, to softness, to lullabies. He hoped Tendou never leave him far away like his father. Even if Ushijima didn't want to admit it, Tendou replaced Utsui-san for several years until he contacted his father.

"Okay, we will be reaching the site soon. Remember, we will be coming across some international scientists. They will answer your budding questions but please be respectful to their answers and presence." The teacher spoke.

The site was everything he wanted to explore. It was oozing with knowledge about astronomy, planets. Spaceships.

"ney ney...do you think we can ask about aliens?" Tendou asked.

"My dad said they don't exist." Ushijima spoke unemotionally.

"Your friend is one." Tendou joked. "Me...I am your friend." He clarified when Ushijima looked at him carefully.

As the kids sat down. A bunch of scientists came over. They gave their little speeches, but nothing appealed to Ushijima. Except for one scientist.

She looked more passionate than ever. She walked more casually.

"You kids must be bored cause of my co-workers boring description of the planets. Ask me random questions okay? Lets see how yall imagination run wild." She cheered.

Ushijima eyes widened. He never thought about it. The question made him explore so many corners of his brain. His 10-year-old brain was hyped.

Kids gave various answers. The scientist laughed with the kids.

"How about Volleyball... I mean can you play volleyball on moon?" Ushijima asked, unsure with his hand raised. His classmates laughed. But...

The scientist stopped laughing, slowly got serious.

"What if I tell you it is possible? Lets imagine different planets and how would it feel playing Volleyball in each planet of our solar system? Whats your name kid?" the scientist asked.

"Ushijima Wakatoshi" was his reply.

"So as your friend Wakatoshi ask a great question, in mars if we had to play volleyball, the gravity would....." And she continued. Her speech made him fall in love with space, the stars, the sky, the planets.