25

The following day I woke up. Still regretting whether I should have told Marie that, Ushijima wanted to know if we ever meet again. I was the one who asked him not to contact me. I don't know whether it was one of the biggest regrets.

That night....

"It won't be easy for me to forget you.... I-?" Ushijima tried to speak.

"No, we both cannot afford to be distracted. Especially you, Ushijima. You are going to be much greater than you are." I say.

"I-" He tried to speak. I knew he felt conflicted.

"You promised we would take this night the way it is. Not what it's going to become in the future." I reply with a smile.

"I will keep my promise then," Ushijima said.

"I want you to promise me one more thing..." I say. He looked with, his eyes for softer, but he remained severe as usual.

"Promise me, and you will be the best volleyball player. The best!!!" I say with a grin, my eyes hopeful. "Promise me that you will not let anything distract you...even me...this night. Promise you will focus on this sport, why you love this sport. Do not let any defeat define your skill. You will be the strong player and person everyone wants to rely on. Promise me Ushijima Wakatoshi." I say.

Ushijima eyes were glaring at me. He was shocked by the words coming out of my mouth. My eyes were severe that he made sure he acknowledged how serious I am.

His reply caught me off guard, "What made you think you are a distraction y/n?" he asks.

I stumble to answer.

"I am a burden Ushijima." I say.

"No," he says.

"I am, you will realise sooner, but I would like you not to realise it in the first place," I say.

"Is this the reason you don't want me to contact you when I leave...the reason you refuse to let me know more about yourself?" Ushijima asked.

I nod. He saw me on the verge of crying. The goodbye was closer than I thought.

I was not too fond of attachments. I hated holding people back. I always wanted to be independent, so my mother didn't have to worry about me. So, it wasn't him. All this time, it was me. It was me who pushed him away.

There was a pause for a few minutes.

.... "I promise." He replies. I suddenly look at him.

" I promise that I will be the best. I will not anything distract me." He said. I softly smile.

"But y/n....if there's a next time for us! I also promise you one thing. Suppose there's a next time for us. I will not let you go." He said, his face remained unchanged. He kissed my forehead.

I took his face, softly caressing it. I nod with a smile with a few tears in my eyes.

He kissed my palm and patted my head.

" Make me proud, Ushijima Wakatoshi," I say. He kept caressing my hair and my palm.

His body slowly was leaving my embrace. He was going to the airport soon.

He slowly walked towards the gate.

"Take care of my bike. " Ushijima said. I chuckle with tears in my eyes.

" I will. " I said. He was leaving the bike he bought during the tournament with me; the cycle held few memories.

" One day, I'll come and find you. " He spoke.