34

I sat on the bus silent. It was nice for the boys to travel with us. Others talked and talked about strategies already. Ushijima was still worried. I don't want to think I was the centre of attention because I arrived and met him after 3 years. Knowing he is random but at the same intimating, I knew something was very confusing about today.

I fiddled with the necklace. It didn't feel like mine anymore. But rather his.

The bus stopped and paused to get few drinks. Our hotel was on another side of Tokyo. We were informed most hotels are booked, and we are supposed to wait until one of the hotels confirms that they have rooms ready. People are expected to check out within 2 hours. Also, knowing its olympics, Traffic was huge, many roads were blocked or under construction and hence longer route was taken, with multiple stops.

I got out and took a breath of fresh air. We were relatively in a more country-like district. I saw mini rice fields and few school children out. It was calmer and had a gentle breeze. I was feeling exhausted, but I decided to get out. Ushijima left the bus before I could even stand up. He was quick with everything, it seems.

All of us got out to eat. I entered the nearest 7/11. Everyone was scattered, stretching before another hour drive. Iwa and Kyla went to take a walk. Others just walked around, checking out mini souvenirs or stuff to eat.

I entered, I saw Ushijima. He had his hands on his pocket and did a deep sign. He didn't know I was there, didn't even realise. He was lost his thoughts. I felt bad. I really wanted to talk to him. But I had no courage. I had different thoughts in my brain. Some self-depreciated me; others questioned his motive towards me.

Before he turned, I quickly moved from the aisle. I didn't want him to notice me. Hoping he didn't notice me. I moved to another aisle far away. Panicking, I tried to buy whatever was available. Although I spoke Japanese well, I wasn't really great at reading.

Trying hard to practice my reading skills on the package. I tried to navigate for a salmon onigiri and packs of baked chips. I examined the packaging, trying to read the ingredients, hoping there aren't any allergens I might react to.

My heart stopped when I heard his voice behind me. I jumped.

"It's a pickled plum onigiri..." the voice came from behind.

I covered my mouth with my hand, hoping not to scream. A silent whimper came out nonetheless.

"You scared me..." I turn and say with a whisper.

"Apologies.." He spoke. He literally towered over me. The enclosed spaced between the aisles made it worse. The little distance between us made my heart flutter.

"How long you were...behind me?" I asked, stumbling.

"Not long. I didn't mean to intrude. I was about to leave but saw you struggling to read the packaging." He explained, with as always his "stoic" face.

"Oh.." I say, looking down.

"Are you hungry?" He asked me.

I shook my head...but my stomach immediately grumbled. He realised I lied.

So I followed with a nod.

He gave a little smile which looked like a hint of adoration.

He took the onigiri and chips packet from my hand and kept it back on the aisle.

"I am going to eat Hayashi rice nearby. Would you like to join me?" He asked kindly, bending his shoulders a little down. I felt like a little person. If he were asking for permission, he wouldn't have put the stuff back in the aisle. It's his way of being persistent with me.

I look up. I could've bet my eyes glimmered. I also saw his eyes soften when he looked at mine. I think we both knew somewhere inside our soul, and our stares were more than just our eyes meeting each other.

Why does he do that to me?

"Okay," I reply. He led me out from the store, and we were on our way.

I followed him, and we reach the restaurant.

A super sweet old lady greeted us.

Ushijima said, "Table for two, please". She kindly smiled and saw me. I was looking around the place. It was cute and small and all wooden.

I greeted and bowed to her.

She realised I was a foreigner cause, of course with I dressing like a casual western person.

"Two people table? Okay okay. We give you private near the garden.." She replies in English. I was confused with the statement, but I just nodded to get along.

She led to a very secluded table near a private garden. The place was tiny, but it was super sweet of her.

I kept my bag on the floor. It was a traditional Japanese place, so I had to sit on the floor mat.

My dress made it a little uncomfortable to sit. I realised to keep my bag on my thighs to keep myself out of embarrassment. Ushijima looked concerned as I kept fidgeting.

"Everything okay?" He asked.

I nod with little discomfort.

As I adjusted my bag, he unzipped his hoodie that he was wearing and slowly got up.

I look up. His body was super tall for the wall. He had to bend down even to stand.

He went behind me, took the bag off my thighs, and slowly laid his hoodie on my lap to hide my thighs.

"Better?" He asked. I was mesmerised and shocked. I look up and just nod. Speechless.

He slowly sat down, looking outside the garden.

"Thank you once again," I say.

"Hmm," He hummed softly.

I got curious. "What's wrong..?" I asked.

"At some point, you have to stop thanking me y/n." He replied.

I died a little inside.

While he took a sip of water, Intimidatingly staring down my soul.

"You know why I do it....for you" 

for you"