19

We were done with the cake. We instructed the staff to carry different layers.

A red and blue cake?

I look at Kyla, "Maybe it's because of the team's colours." She replies. I nod slowly.

"It's funny because you're wearing burgundy, which is almost like red and then there's me wearing blue...." Kyla chuckles. I never realised it until she pointed it out.

"Actually, yeah, hahaha!" I chuckle.

"Oh shucks, and I'm supposed to go with the red team, dude, right?" Kyla asks. I was confused.

"How do you know he was red? I mean Japan..." I ask.

"Oh, they were both wearing different flag badges, so I figured..." Kyla mentions. I was impressed. I always miss out on details when it comes to talking to people.

"Oh damn...and you're going with the blue team person...while wearing a red dress...we going with the opposites..." Kyla chuckles.

I uncomfortably laugh. I wasn't ready to go with Oikawa, but the more I've spent my time around him. He seems cheerful. It feels comfortable.

I go out, did a little touch up to my make up.

"Ready?" Kyla asks. She seemed more prepared than I did. I gulp and follow her.

I reach the elevator. I realise the hotel was crowded. There would be little probability I'll clash with Ushijima. The event seemed huge. As I got to the lobby near the hall to wait for the boys, we see more players in suits.

Kyla knocks on my shoulder and points her finger.

Reporters surrounded Oikawa.

Out of fear, I hid behind Kyla. Oikawa seemed to be in a rush and smiled urgently whenever he answered. Later I see the team's staff pushing the reporters away.

Iwazuimi sees Kyla and walks forward.

"Did we keep you waiting?" Iwa asks. Kyla shook her head with a kind smile.

Oikawa came forward. I was still behind Kyla's tall figure.

"Where's mine?" Oikawa asks childishly, trying to find me. Kyla slides away, and Oikawa sees me. I put my head down. I panicked seeing the huge crowd around him.

"There she is..." Oikawa cheered.

Oikawa offers his hand. I look up with uncertainty.

"Dont worry, they won't be near the party. We will do fine..." Oikawa gives a kind smile.

His statement sounded assuring. I gave my hand to him.

"Shall we?" He asks. I softly nod and lead me to the party.

xxxxx

I enter the huge banquet hall. I see the two cakes we prepared.

It was a gala dinner. Everyone dressed formally. Oikawa gave small waves around him. He had lots of good wishes. People loudly congratulating him. He seemed happy.

I follow to the main hall, but he stopped me and pulled me close.

I look up, confused.

"You look beautiful," Oikawa mentions, seriously. His eyes glared me down. My head felt fuzzy.

Suddenly he grins and winks, "but I was also gonna say...we gotta go to another hall. The main event starts in 15 minutes. We have to enter later for a ceremony."

"Oh",,,, that's all I could say.

Oikawa is so good at putting people on the spot.

Iwazuimi and Kyla were in different halls. I guess different teams have different mini halls before the main event.

I enter, I see the Argentinian players. They were so tall. Even their dates were equally tall.

Oikawa, still holding my arm, greeted others. He slowly sat down near a corner table. He took out the chair for me and waited for me to sit comfortably.

"Thank you." He spoke sincerely.

"You're welcome." I softly smile.

"I know you think I am weird. But I really appreciate you coming..." He softly smiles.

As I tried to say something, someone came and spoke to Oikawa in Spanish. Something irked him.

He murmured, "Baka" ...

"Who is back?" I ask in Japanese. Oikawa's eyes light up.

"You speak Japanese..." He was surprised. Our conversations now went on in Japanese.

Oikawa suddenly became relaxed.

"Yes, I speak...but you didn't answer my question? Who is the baka..." I ask, chuckling.

"Me." Oikawa smiles.

I look away and slowly nod, humming as I tried to signal I didn't believe him.

"Fine, its some dude I cannot stand...I am supposed to get an award, but now he is getting too. " He slouches.

"Omg, congratulations. And why would it bother you? Are you sharing the award with him?" I ask.

"No, I am getting best setter, and he is getting best striker," Oikawa explains.

Me not knowing much about volleyball, "Both are different positions, yes?" I ask.

Oikawa nods with a frown.

"Then I don't see any problem. Nobody is taking it away; you are the best setter. That's who you are, and you must embrace this recognition. Someone else winning doesn't always reduce your own worth of victory." I reply. Oikawa's eyes light up.

Oikawa then looks away. His eyes were sad.

"Its something I've been working on. But hearing it from you. Someone who barely knows me. Somehow sounds reassuring that I might be good at what I am doing. It sounds more objective" Oikawa softly speaks.

I smile. I give him a fist bump. He returns it back.

"I like strangers, and they don't know anything about me. I feel comfortable around them. Less lying and secrets." Oikawa mentions.

I slowly realise why he asked me to be his date at the gala randomly. I was the perfect candidate. I didn't know him.

I nod. "I gotchu. I won't try to understand you Oikawa..." I smile.

"You promise?" Oikawa asks.

"Promise," I say reassuring with a soft smile.

Oikawa gives a soft chuckle, "That's my girl..."

"