Chapter 39

"There's no way an invisible man exists!" Usopp insisted, crossing his arms.

"Are you kidding? You think I would pretend to pin myself against a wall for shits and giggles?" Y/n growled, scowling at the long-nosed male. "You saw it!"

"No I didn't!" Usopp exclaimed. "It's a trick question!! You just want me to say that I saw it so you can punch me!" He whined, a light blush still dusting his face at the memory of y/n's vulnerability.

"I can punch you at at moment I want..." Y/n growled, raising her fist as a menacing threat. Usopp paled and shuffled behind Nami, who just sweat at the man's antics.

"Either way, I'm not going to believe a single thing that I see on this island!" Usopp huffed. "The invisible man is just my imagination. The ghost is a weird bird. The zombies are that kind of race...'under-grounders!"

"What are you talking about?" Nami furrowed her brow.

"It's true that we did meet a skeleton that revived after dying once, because of a devil fruit...But that's a special exception out of special exceptions!! Two identical abilities don't exist in this world, and it's totally impossible to revive the dead." Usopp huffed out, adamant on his belief that all of this was just some sort of bad dream. "Right, Chopper?" The sniper turned to the reindeer, who was still silently mulling over his thoughts on the whole situation.

"Well, from a medical perspective, all of this has been impossible. I think your logic makes more sense..." Chopper frowned. "But, Dr. Hogback has abandoned his life of glory to delve into his research! Just maybe, miracles of that scale have been happening on this island!"

"Chopper..." Y/n sighed, kneeling down. "But don't you think that even if all of it was real...Don't you think that maybe all of this shouldn't exist in reality?" She frowned. "Like I said before, life isn't about trying to live for as long as possible. It's about making the most of the time that you do have." Chopper looked down, once again feeling that sting of truth from y/n's words.

"Aren't you putting a bit too much faith in that man?" Nami chimed in.

"Dr. Hogback is a truly wonderful man! I respect him!" Chopper cried out.

"All right, all right." Y/n sighed, trying to cut off the conversation there before things got too heated.

"Anyway," Chopper sighed, pouting slightly. "can I at least talk to the doctor? Is that acceptable? Y/n? Nami?"

"As long as I'm not harassed by another invisible man..." Y/n groaned and followed Chopper as he started walking. Usopp and Nami followed after, both of them also sighing in defeat.

"I hope Luffy and the guys save us soon." Usopp whined.

As the group approached the dining room, they were surprised to find all the lights turned off and there was also no one to be found. No Hogback, no Cindry, just a dark, empty room.

"Doctor! Where did you go?" Chopper called out. Y/n felt on edge, her hand instinctively moving to rest on the hilt of her rapier. "D-Doctor!" Chopper tried calling out again. The sudden sound of flames igniting and the sudden brightening of the room had everyone's heart accelerating in surprise.

"Those two have already turned in for the night." A voice sounded from above. Looking up, they spotted a bat-like man hanging from the chandelier.

"Who the hell are you?" Y/n got into a defensive stance, her grip tightening on her sword.

"Hildon?!" Usopp cried out.