Chapter 13

"Say Luffy...What did your brother give to you?" Usopp panted out, struggling to keep up with the group.

"I dunno." Luffy answered simply. "It's just a scrap of paper."

"It's not even a note or anything..." Sanji took the paper from Luffy, examining it. Suddenly, a gust of wind swept the paper out of Sanji's hand, landing in Lashes's mouth, the camel beginning to chew.

"Hey! Give it back! Don't eat that!" Luffy punched Lashes in the head, effectively making him spit the paper out.

"Luffy, may I have your hat for a second, along with the paper." Y/n held her hand out, Luffy then giving her his hat and the paper. "If it's important, it's best to keep it safe. Considering how much this hat means to you, if the paper is attached to it, there's a small chance that the paper will get lost or damaged." Y/n showed the rubber man the paper that was now sewn on the underside of the red ribbon.

"Wow! Thanks y/n!" Luffy smiled before placing his trademark hat back atop his head. "Now I won't have to worry about it while I beat up Crocodile!"

"If it's not a note or something, what's the point in having it?" Zoro questioned.

"Ace told me to keep it, so I'm keeping it!" Luffy huffed.

"Everyone! Yuba is just behind those rocks." Vivi pointed to some rocks in the distance, capturing everyone's attention. "Just one more push!" Luffy and Chopper cheered, their pace picking up slightly, the rest of the group following.

As the group continued walking, the wind started to pick up, everyone bringing their cloaks up to their noses to keep from breathing in the windblown sand.

"Are we really nearing Yuba? I can't really see..." Luffy said, his voice muffled beneath his scarf. Vivi brought the fabric of her cloak down, revealing her distraught facial expression.

"Something's wrong!" Looking and listening closely, Vivi gasped as she realized just what was happening. "A sandstorm! Yuba's being struck by a sandstorm!" Vivi started forward, wanting to get over to Yuba as quickly as possible. "This can't be...." Vivi and the others looked around in shock and horror at the dried up oasis, not a bit of life to be seen.

"Where's the water?" Luffy panted out, reminding everyone just how dry their throats were.

"The oasis has been swallowed up!" Vivi gasped. Y/n cupped her hands behind her ears, catching a faint sound of metal clinking.

"There. There's someone over there." The goddess pointed ahead of them, the group walking towards the noise. Upon closer inspection, the group realized that the metal clinking was coming from a shovel. An old man stood at the center of a large hole, digging through the sand.

"Are you travelers?" He asked, not stopping his digging. "Sorry, this town is a bit dried up..." The old man halted, wiping his brow before turning towards the group. "But you're free to rest here if you want."

"Um, we came here because we heard the rebel army was in this city..." Vivi informed him, hiding her face so that the man wouldn't recognize her.

"What business do you have with the rebel army?!" The old man's brows furrowed, his eyes becoming sharp at the mention of the rebel army. He then began to throw random things at the group, all of them dodging quickly. "Don't tell me you fools want to join them!" He then stopped, sighing before returning to his digging. "If you're looking for them, they left this town a long time ago.

"What?!" Luffy exclaimed, the rest of the group groaning and dropping their jaws at the news.

"A sandstorm just hit this town, but it wouldn't be the first. Little by little, this oasis withered away due to the constant sandstorms. The flow of supplies had gone down, leaving the rebel army no choice but to move somewhere else, that being Katorea." The old man explained.