Chapter 8

The Going Merry sailed smoothly through calm waters, the path to Alabasta seeming clear. Y/n raised a brow as Nami's breaths became ragged, her body leaning against the mast, her forehead breaking out in a sweat. Usopp and Luffy continued to fool around, chanting nonsense about Elbaf, Karoo running around frantically as the two almost fell off the ship.

"Those two are teeming with energy." Nami sighed out, placing a hand on her forehead. "I'm suddenly exhausted after everything." She handed the eternal pose to Vivi, smiling as Sanji came out with a platter full of pastries. Y/n took one of the pastries, biting into the sweet cake treat. Nami's pupils constricted and dilated, her vision blurring. "Hey, I'm going to go lay down." She muttered, attempting to get up, only to collapse to the ground.

Vivi gasped, rushing over to Nami's form, y/n also approaching to see what happened. Nami's face was flushed, even the tips of her ears tinted with red. Her breathing sounded pained, her eyebrows furrowing.

"Oh no! Nami-san! Everyone, come here, quickly!" The whole crew stopped what they were doing, Zoro stopping his weight training and the four in the kitchen appearing at the door.

"What's wrong, Vivi?" Luffy asked, his mouth still full with pastries.

"She has a high fever!" Vivi responded, Sanji pushing aside Luffy and Usopp, starting to freak out about Nami having a fever. Everyone gathered around Nami, hovering over her collapsed body. The boys helped to bring Nami to her room, putting her down in her bed gently.

"Is Nami-san going to die, Vivi-chan?!" Sanji cried out dramatically, teeth tugging on his shirt.

"It's probably the climate. One of the obstacles all sailors who enter the Grand Line face is illness due to climate change.." Vivi furrowed her brows, placing a cold, wet cloth over Nami's forehead, hoping to cool her fever. Sanji cried out the navigator's name once more, wiping his tears with his sleeve. "Does anyone on this ship have any medical knowledge?" Luffy and Usopp slowly pointed to her, Sanji only sobbing shortly.

"I can heal or purify, but if I don't know what caused the injury or illness, I won't be able to do much." Y/n crossed her arms, eyes never leaving Nami's form.

"But eating meat makes sickness go away, right Sanji?" Luffy's usual optimistic attitude calmed Sanji down slightly. But not by much.

"I can make some basic food, meant for sick people, but there's no guarantee that she'd get better." He muttered, looking down at Nami. "I usually put 100 times more care into Nami-san's, Vivi-chan's, and y/n-swan's meals than I do with yours. As long as I'm the chef on this ship, you'll always have a balanced meal with the nutrients you need. But there are certain types of food for different types of sick people. I can't make the call on what's wrong, so I can't cook to meet her needs." Sanji explained.

"40 degrees celsius?! Her fever's gone up!" Vivi looked at the thermometer, her eyes widening at the high temperature.

"Is it really that bad being sick?" Luffy inquired, turning towards Sanji and Usopp. The two shrugged their shoulders.

"Dunno, never been sick before." They said in unison, Vivi yelling at them in disbelief.

"Who in the world are you people?! 40 degree fevers don't come out of nowhere! Of course it's bad!" Vivi calmed herself down, her saddening gaze turning towards Nami once more. "This may be a life-threatening illness.." The three boys then started to freak out at the thought of Nami dying.

"Nami's gonna die?! We need to find a doctor!" Luffy shouted out. Vivi tried to calm them down, the noise becoming too loud.

"No..." Nami choked out. She sat up, holding the cold cloth to her head. "We need to get to Alabasta as soon as possible."