chapter 24

I am dating Fred Weasley. Well in private. I don't know why I said yes. I just couldn't say no. Not to him at least. With every class, he always smiled at me when no one was looking. Making me feel like the only girl in the world. It was like I was constantly stuck on a rollercoaster that continued to go. Never stopping. At night all I thought about was him. Longing for him to come to sleep with me. Hold me close and protect me like he said he would. My heart wanted to beat out of my chest every second of every day. I was wrapped around his little finger and he didn't even know.

One chilly morning Emily and I were heading to Charms class. The snow had finally all melted but the cold air still lingered in the mornings but would soon be gone after our first class as the sun rose higher. Emily was rambling on about how she hasn't seen Mille, her cat, in a few days and was worried she got out and was roaming the grounds at Hogwarts. 

"Em, I am sure Millie is sleeping peacefully under your bed. You know her. She would never run away," I said to comfort her.

"I know. I am just worried about her," Emily sighed heavily.

"I know Em, I promise that everything," I said towards her as we turned the corner. I watched as Emily's face dropped and she let out a scream. I quickly turned my head towards the direction she was looking at and was her cat laying dead in the middle of the hallway. Emily ran over as I followed behind her. I came down to her level as she cried. 

"My Millie," Emily sobbed. 

"It's okay," I comforted her as I rubbed her back, looking down at her cat. Seeing it there lifeless as she cried onto my shoulder, "I'm sorry Emily." 

"How?" She cried.

"I wish I knew," I hushed, holding her closer. Placing my books on the ground as I reached over and placed my hand gently on Millie. Lightly dragging my fingers through her soft golden fur. Letting Emily continue to cry in my grasp. As soon as my hand was lifted off Millie's fur I watched as her stomach began to rise and fall again. Her eyes opening wide before she sprung to her paws. Crawling up in Emily's lap and purring on her.

"Millie, you rascal," Emily cheered as she pet Millie. Meanwhile, I sat there in confusion. Millie was dead and now she is alive. Impossible. It can't be. One moment she was gone and the next she back to life. How? Why? I simply touched her. Did I do that? Did I bring Millie back to life? No. I couldn't have. 

"Lottie," I heard softly as someone was tapping my shoulder. I quickly left my thoughts and looked up at Emily who was smiling, "Come on, we have to get to class."

"Yeah," I hushed, pushing myself off the ground and standing up tall. Still in a daze as I walked to class. Following a few steps behind Emily as I replayed what just happened over and over again in my brain. Turning the corner to head into Professor Flitwick's classroom, running straight into a tall buff figure. 

"Watch it," I growled without looking up, feeling a familiar touch on my arm as my eyes scanned up to see Fred.

"Are you okay?" He asked concerningly as his finger dropped to the palm of my hand.

"Sorry, yeah. I'm fine. Confused. But fine," I whispered quickly as his fingers danced over my skin, calming me down.

"Okay," He hushed as he let go of me. I moved past him and entered the classroom as he walked back out into the halls. I floated down the aisle as I made it to where Emily was sitting and slide into the seat next to her. Opening my book to the Charm we were on and got ready for today's lesson. Instead, I immediately spaced out. Not even noticing the Professor Flitwick had entered the classroom.

I couldn't focus. On anything, not even my own thoughts. Throughout the whole class, I sat there looking at the same page. Not flipping it and not answering a single question. My mind wrapped around how I brought Millie back to life because she was not breathing at all when Emily and I found her. My mind scrolling through all the charms I had ever learned or read about to see if there was an answer there. None of them related to what I did. It was unheard of. Someone bringing something back from the dead, impossible. That was playing with fate and it was wrong.