chapter 33

Before we could even blink, winter was here. The first snowfall happens and the air grew colder and colder. With winter here it just meant that Christmas break was around the corner and this year I was allowed to come home. Not like it would make a difference, I would still be stuck in my room while everyone enjoyed dinner with the Malfoy and Flint family. 

But with Christmas break coming up it meant that some professors were giving exams left and right. Out of the seven classes I was taking I have five exams coming up. All my time was focused on studying for those and getting ready to pass which I had no doubt that I would be able to do. Because I was busy with studying and my prefect duties, I hadn't spent much time with Fred. There were some nights we skipped out on going to each other dorms. Either I was just too tired from everything or he forgot. Some night Fred would come and find me in the library, long after dinner. He would always sit with me for a while and play with my hands, drawing over every inch as I focused on studying. He would also bring something for me to eat some nights since I missed mealtime, or he would somehow manage to sneak two meals in and just sit with me while we just enjoyed each other presence. As soon as our time was up he would give me a simple kiss and leave. Not saying a word about where he was going or who he would be with and it was starting to anger me.

Even when I was in class and paying attention I would always look for Fred at some point just to smile at him, but it was a toss-up if he was there or not. Most times he was there but sometimes he wasn't. I would see him walk in at the beginning of the lesson and then halfway through he would be gone. This wasn't the first time I began to notice his absences.

It started a few weeks ago. It felt like he was distancing himself from me and even if we did have interactions it was short but sweet and then he was gone, disappearing off to where ever he went and it was getting annoying. If we did have time in each other's dorms, which was rare, he was always late or super quiet. He would just climb into his bed and fall asleep not saying a word as I laid there confused. I wanted to know why but at the same time wouldn't he come to me if something what wrong?

***

It was a few days before break and I was getting more anxious. I really want to talk with Fred about why he was so distant and why we had barely spent any time together. I couldn't do it tonight, I was on my last prefect duties for this term. Umbridge had pulled us all into her office weeks ago and told us we need to be on high alert. Apparently, there was a group of students sneaking around. I for one thought that she was being loony as I had never caught any students sneaking through the halls late a night. Even if I did, I honestly do not care that much to write them up or ask them what they are doing.

On this night I was roaming the cold halls. My robe wrapped around me tightly to keep the last bit of warmth I had inside. I was making my way towards the Ravenclaw hallway, when I turned the corner I saw Fred walking with a girl I never recognized before. Her long blonde hair waved through her own wind as she giggled at something Fred had said. I watched from around the corner as they stopped at what I only could assume was the common room door. She turned herself in front of Fred as I got a look at her face. I didn't recognize her. I didn't have any classes with her or even know what year she was in. I figured she must be younger than us. I watched them both intensely as she placed her hand on his bicep, thanking him for walking her back to her dorm so late. Fred replied quickly before she took off into the Ravenclaw common room while Fred waited for the door to close.

Why was he walking her back to her dorm at this time?

Where were they coming from?

Who was she?

As my eyes stayed on Fred, I watched him turn to walk back down the hall. As soon as our rye s met I knew I had been caught. I pulled my head back quickly and took off, trying to get as far away from Fred as I could. I felt every inch of my body began to heat up as I walked away. After seeing him with another girl, I didn't want to talk to him or see him.