chapter 34

this chapter contains mature themes. readers discretion advised.

***

After Christmas break, the weeks seemed to fly by. The days began to grow longer as the sun stayed in the sky longer, heating up the ground to make the snow melt as all the animals came out hiding and nature sprung to life. Spring was just around the corner and I couldn't have been happier. But with the sights and sounds of spring meant that the final term of my final year at Hogwarts was coming to an end.

Since the break, I was happy to be back. I hated being trapped in my room, but one of the things that made me feel better was Fred's letters and how even on my birthday he sent me a little gift. A journal for me to write in, as well as a pair of wool socks his Mum made, which was sweet. I don't think I ever took them off. They were just so warm and comfortable.

Becasue the year was coming closer to an end, Fred and I had spent a lot of time together, soaking up every moment we could before we were apart from each other, for who knows how long.

***

Today was Slytherins' last Quidditch match of the year before we found out who was heading to the Quidditch cup match in just a few weeks. Things weren't looking so good for the Gryffindor team so it was really left to Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin for the House cup. 

Adrian and Graham had expressed that they were sure Slytherin would be going up against Ravenclaw for the final match but after last weekend I think Gryffindor still had some hope to pull through and make it. The last weekend, while the Slytherin house didn't care to watch Ravenclaw verse Gryffindor I snuck out and down to the pitch. Fred was waiting right outside the entrance waiting for me before he took me up to where his friends were sitting. As we watched the game together, I couldn't help but notice how supportive he was of Ginny as she flew around on the pitch out there as the new seeker. 

When Emily and I woke up in the morning we both met in the common room to head down to the Great Hall to have breakfast with Adrian and Graham as we always did before a big match. During the week Adrian and Graham would talk non-stop about the match and how they were going to take down Hufflepuff. Not only that something had clicked with the two of them because they started taking classes more seriously and stopped flirting with Em and me after we came back from break. While I missed our little banters it just felt nice to have the little, sweet 11-year-olds they used to be back.  

After Emily and I both had some breakfast and wished the boys good luck we went to get ready for the match. While I waiting on her to be done I finished up the last of my Potions paper that I needed to turn in on Monday. 

By eleven o'clock we made our way down to the pitch, making sure we got good seats to watch the action play out. When we arrived both teams were getting ready to start the match. While Emily and I were settling in, I saw Fred sitting a few sections over from us with his brother and Lee Jordan who was getting ready to announce the match. Just as I was about to look away from Fred, his eyes caught mine. Even though a crowd of students, I felt my heart stop as I felt like the only girl up there. Fred shot me a quick wink before I rolled my eyes at him. I turned away smiling just as the Quaffle was thrown into the air.

Slytherin scored first as Hufflepuff was quick to follow, keeping each other on their toes as Crabbe and Goyle were smacking the bludgers towards the Hufflepuff chasers and beaters. With everyone flying all around it had to keep track of what was happening. Our team was playing tough and rough. All Slytherin team members were trying to knock them off their brooms or lose their grip on Quaffle.

After about a good two hours the action came to a quick stopped. One of our chasers, Cassie Warrington, when down hard. A Hufflepuff beater had hit one of the bludgers straight at him, hitting him in the head as it whizzed by. It was like watching Fred get hit last year as he went down. All of Slytherin hopped off their brooms and rushed to his side. After a few moments, Madam Pomfrey came on the pitch with McGonagall as they began to assess his injury.