chapter 49

It had been a week since I had been back from being with Fred. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't upset. Most of the time I sat in my room writing to him or trying to contact Agatha again but nothing I did seemed to work. So I sat alone on my bed, wishing. Fred was laying here with me but he was miles away at work. While we each had our letters to keep us company, while each letter made me smile more and more every time his owl flew through my window. The words on the page only did justice. There were things we didn't talk about. Me leaving, us missing each other, or when we would get to see each other. It just pained us too much, leaving tear stain drops on the parchment as we tried to write to each other. We talked about our days. What was good and what was bad. In my mind, I always pictured that he was here with me, which calmed my nerves just a little. It just made me feel closer to him by knowing how his days were going even though I missed being there with him.

***

It had been a while since I last saw Agatha and part of me thought that it was all in my head. That I imagined it, none of it was real. But it had to be. She spoke to me, I saw her like she was a real person. I just needed to figure out to get her back. Most days I spent flipping through books, trying to find a conjuring spell that could bring her back but I wasn't finding anything. I was beginning to grow angry. Why would she show up once and then never come back? Did I need to be crying for her to come or what? I guess we will have to wait and find out. 

***

One night as I was writing back to Fred, I had the windows open to enjoy some of the last few nights of fall here before the snow fell. My candle flickered in the wind as I wrapped a shale around my torso tighter. I wrote to Fred about my day but everything just became repetitive so I started to come up with stories of my own and the adventures the character would go on just to keep myself sane and Fred really loved reading all of them. Of course, he told me that I should just become an author and write millions of stories to people all over the world, but writing a book takes a lot of work and energy. I feel like I would just fail at it.

While the crips air whipped around my room and my quill flew with speed to write down every last word of this story to Fred my candle burnt out of a second before relighting itself. I thought nothing of it while I finished up and then sent my letter out to Fred for the night before locking my windows up and blowing out my candle. 

When I turned around to head to bed, there she was, sitting in all her glory. A smile on her face as she looked up at me.

"Nice of you to show up again," I sassed as I dropped my arms to my sides.

"Don't get sassy with me," She said as she floated off my bed.

"You show up once last week, tell me we need to work, and then leave me. Why?"

"You needed to prove yourself."

"Prove myself how?" I asked as my eyes followed her around the room.

"You know the letters you and your boyfriend write for each other a very sweet. Why must you two dance around your true feelings? It will only help you grow strong," She taunted.

"I don't need to grow stronger," I said, "and we both know we miss each other. We just don't feel the need to say it."

"You should. It will help. You two are bottling it up. He says it in his sleep."

"You watch my boyfriend sleep?"  I exclaimed as I felt the magnetic force flow between my fingers.

"Watch yourself now honey, you don't want to go around harming yourself or others when you don't know how to control your powers," She said hovering around my room as I tried to calm myself down but nothing was working. I felt rage course through my body as I thought she was spying on Fred. My chest was rising and falling rapidly as it felt like I was having a panic attack. The blood in my body heating as it coursed through my veins faster. I clenched my fist together tightly, letting my fingers dig into the palms of my skin as I tried my best to calm myself down but nothing was working. I only felt angrier.