chapter 32

this chapter contains mature themes. readers discretion advised.

***

Today was the day of the big match. Slytherin vs. Gryffindor. The Slytherin common room had been boasting all week with the hype of this match today. Adrian and Graham went on and on about how they were going to cream Gryffindor, ignoring my comments to shut up. Graham even said that this time the beaters will make sure that they get Fred in the head this time instead of the rib. I was fuming at their comment but I couldn't show it to them.  So instead I sat there with Emily as we listened to the two of them gloat. I think in the back of our minds Emily and I both secretly knew that our beaters stood no chance against the Weasely boys. 

Just a few minutes before the match started, Emily and I made our way down to the pitch together. Emily was going on and on about how excited she was to watch George play. Deep inside I was nervous for Fred. I didn't want to see him get hurt but I also wanted him to win and not to mention seeing him fly around on that broom and hitting the bludger far and hard, it was stirring something up inside of me. Behind Emily and I were Mary Ann and her group of friends. Like usual Becca was off with her friends not saying a word to Mary Ann or me. 

Once we reached the pitch all of us climbed up the staircase to the Slytherin student section, finding our seats quickly just before the match started. Both teams flying around just before Madam Hooch called both teams to the center. My eyes scanned for Fred. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw his number come into view as he came up long George's side. Both of them were facing our direction as they started talking with one another. Fred slipped his bat under his left arm as he began to tighten both of his elbow guards as Madam Hooch was going over the rules again. Just as she was about to blow her whistle Fred took his bat into his grasp again and looked in my direction. Our eyes connecting for a split second as I sent him a quick wink. Then they were off.

Everyone was flying around, fighting for the quaffle as Lee Jordan began announcing the match as it happened. I didn't care about that. My attention was fixed on Fred. Wherever he went my eyes followed, making sure he was staying safe and watching out for the bludgers coming at everyone from all angels.

About an hour and a half into the match Slytherin was leading, one hundred and ten to seventy. The Gryffindor students and players were all getting aggravated. Meanwhile, the whole Slytherin section was boasting with confidence. A few times Fred and George had flown by yelling at each other or other players. I could see it on Fred's face, he was mad and that was never good. I knew he was feeling defeated as George and he worked hard with Ron this summer to make him better but I think the nerves got the best of him. What also wasn't helping was the great song our Slytherin students came up with to sing at him on repeat.

While it wasn't funny, it was great to see our team in such a high lead. Then it was like something clicked for Ron and he started blocking our goals from left and right, giving his team the opportunity to catch the quaffle and fly to the other end of the pitch and score. Within another twenty minutes, they raise the score. Making it one hundred and fifty to one hundred and sixty. 

"Draco Malfoy is off chasing after the snitch," Lee's voice boomed through the pitch, "will Harry Potter catch up with him and grab it before him? I don't know guys, it's looking messy out there."

While my brain wasn't focused on his comment or caring about who was about to catch the snitch I just kept watching Fred as he protected his team. Hit after hit the bludger would go flying back at our beaters before Fred took off to help the girls get to the goal. Merlin, he was good on a broom. I swear when he flew by one time I could see the veins popping out of his hand as he held onto his broom for dear life. About ten minutes after, Draco and Harry chased each other around Harry finally caught the snitch helping Gryffindor win the first match of the season.