Chapter Fifty- Butterfly

The two teenage boys sat awkwardly in Melissa McCalls car as Rosie drove them to school. Between them, silent conversations were shared about their conversation of the night before and Rosie had no idea that these thoughts were going through their heads.

"Why do you two keep looking at each other like that?" She asked as she finally noticed through the internal mirror. Her mood was different to how it was last night, and she was back to her normal, confident and bubbly self.

"We aren't looking at each other- like anything. I don't know what you're talking about." Stiles spoke, on his feet, before Scott could ruin it and blurt it out, like he usually would.

"Okay then." The car pulled in to school car park and came to a stop, allowing them to get out. "Go in without me, I just need to call Lydia."

They both nodded and rushed inside like children running away from getting in trouble, and once they were inside they let out the breath that both of them had been holding in. Just like the truth.

"We are gonna have to tell her."

"Yes I know, Scott. But what if shes not whatever that thing is? What if its not her?" Stiles began speaking logically but also trying not to believe that she was the murdering creature in Beacon Hills.

"You were the one who said it was her though." To this Stiles rubbed his lips together as he knew that he had said it was her first but now didn't want to follow up on that assumption. "Lets say she is, what if not telling her gets more people hurt or worse, killed?"

"I know."

From behind Stiles, Scott saw that Rosie was coming up behind them and decided strategically to change the subject. "What did Allison say?"

"What? We are talking about Rosie here I-" Turning his head, Stiles caught on to the fact that Rosie was coming to join them. "Im so sorry about the other day. Im trying. We'll get through this. Uh... I know because I love you."

"I didn't think the school corridors were the most romantic setting to confess your love for my brother but here we are." Rosie sat beside them on the stairs, joining the conversation.

"We are talking about what Allison said." Her brother explained with a smile on his fcae, so the two McCalls looked back at Stiles, indicating for him to finish.

"I love you more that- Oh my God! I cant..." He cringed at the over the top romantic words he was saying to his best friend in front of the girl he likes. "You and Allison just have to find a better way to communicate."

"Come on. You're the only one that we can trust. Rosie cant do it because her dad might find out and use Allison to get to her. Is she coming to the game tonight?"

"Yes okay. Message complete." His eyes stayed on Scotts face, not meeting Rosies, as he tried to think of something else to feel the void in this empty conversation.

"Scott, tell us about your boss." The girl spoke for the two after having to endure the very awkward and painful silence.

"He thinks that Allison's family keeps some kind of, uh, records of all the things they've hunted. Like a book."

"So he thinks that's what we need to find out what I am?" Innocently she asked as the two boys held back the truth from her once again, nodding silently.

"He probably means a bestiary." Stiles added to get the conversation back on track although both McCalls laughed together at what he had said.

"I mean I really don't think that's gonna help answering any of my questions. May just open questions about why you think that this would help us?"

"Yeah, I think you mean beastiality." Her other half joined in, continuously laughing at Stiles with his sister.

"Nope, pretty sure I don't." Their laughing stopped. "Its like an encyclopedia of mythical creatures."

"How am I the only one that doesn't seem to know anything about this stuff?"

"Join the club." She pointed to her self sarcastically, making a joke about her lack of knowledge. "Its like I'm always out of the loop."

Although she was joking, Stiles and Scott dropped whatever facial expression they had on their faces and it turned to shock. It was as if they thought she could read minds, as if that was one of the features of being a supernatural killing machine.

"Im joking guys, no need to get defensive." Laughing it off uncomfortably, Rosie saw a certain strawberry blonde come out of the guidance councilor office and she got up to meet her. "Theres Lydia, she didn't pick up her phone so I'll see you later."

"Bye." The two boys said in unison, watching Rosie walk off normally away from the awkwardness which they had created by not telling her. She walked over to Lydia and got her attention straight away.

"Is that where you've been, because I called you earlier."

"Yeah, that French teacher was the councilor and she just kept asking what all these black splats of paint looked like." Lydia groaned as she walked alongside Rosie, heading to her locker.

"And what did they look like?" Rosie asked, sort of intrigued to see what she saw in such abstract shapes.

"Butterfly. Each time. Well that's what I said anyway. I cant have someone actually thinking they know anything about my mind. Especially when it was my mother who put me in those sessions." Her eyes rolled while she puckered her lips together before stopping at her locker. "Although I love talking about me, hows you and Stiles? I feel like we haven't spoke in ages."

"Do you want the truth or do you want to wear rose tinted glasses?"

"I don't think the glasses would go with my outfit." She replied sarcastically, taking books out of her neat locker which contrasted what Rosies looked like. "So the truth will do."

At first she sighed, thinking of what to tell her best friend when she didn't even know the answer herself.

"To be honest, it feels like there isn't a 'me and Stiles' at all. Like nothings changed."