silent

"Don't say such silly things, Klee! It's getting late, let's get you in bed."

Was all she could respond with. Hope. Don't hope. Children's words are full of their own delusions. She would know, she herself was a child full of delusions. Destroy the hope before your heart gets broken.

Earlier that day, right outside the walls of Mondstadt.

"Mr. Albedo, please wait a moment!" Sucrose yelled, running after the chief alchemist. He stopped in his tracks and turned towards her.

"What is it, Sucrose?"

"I heard about Cecilia and Kaeya. Please tell me that isn't why you're leaving! I understand you must return to your research, Mr. Albedo. But please don't let it be over something like this!"

Albedo only smiled at Sucrose.

"Mr. Albedo! I can see something is wrong! Running away won't solve it, you know this!"

"Sucrose, why would something like that be the reason for me to leave?"

Sucrose stared at him, "you can't keep secrets like that from me! Everyone can see it, you know. You love Cecilia!"

"Love?" Albedo stares silently. "Where did you get that idea from?"

"A-Ah! It's just that you get along so well with her! More than with anyone else, it's completely out of character."

He smiles sadly, "even if I did 'love' her, she's found herself in a relationship with someone else."

"Mr. Albedo, what are your thoughts on her relationship with Captain Kaeya?"

"I have research to do, Sucrose. I don't have time for this discussion." He turns away from the girl and starts walking away. However, much to his surprise, Sucrose caught him by the arm. She stared intently at the surprised boy.

"I'll allow you to leave but only once you tell me why you're really leaving."

Albedo pauses and huffs. He takes a moment to think of a suitable answer for Sucrose. Yet, it seems she already knows the answer. She only wanted to hear him say it. He once more looked into Sucrose eyes. They were filled with determination. Finally, Albedo sighed and spoke.

"I don't understand it." He spoke softly. "The pain caused by seeing Cecilia and Kaeya together. Though, I know what it means."

"You love her?"

"I'm not sure."

The boy pulled away and made his way towards Dragonspine. Sucrose only stared in worry. Love was a foreign concept and this pain he spoke of was surely confusing. Perhaps, being alone was best for him. In that way he can conduct his own research as well as think about these feelings. To come up with a conclusion on his own, with no interruptions from others. She'd return to the mountain soon enough, in order to assist with his experiments. He'd spoken before this conversation; Sucrose and Timeus were to bring Cecilia up the mountain if she desired. However, she was to leave within the same day.

The walk felt longer than usual. Silent. He'd grown accustomed to taking walks like this with Cecilia. The lack of a jumpy girl running about collecting things was a different feeling, to say the least. It'd become so normal he'd forgotten what his trips used to be like. He now felt so hollow.

He stared unto the empty road ahead. After what seemed to be ages of walking he finally came to a stop. Just before reaching the camp set up outside Dragonspine. He sat down in the grass. Pulled out his sketchbook. And sketched the grass. Stroke one, two, three. With no image in mind, he sketched. Once completed he takes a look and sketch and find it's missing something.

"Of course, no sketch is complete without a lovely flower as it's centerpiece." He spoke to no one in particular. Once a few minutes pass by, a girl is in the scene. Holding a basket full of flowers. He smiles sadly, "she'd do well with a basket like this. I'll have to give her one."

He traced his thumb across the pencil sketch. He sighed. Perhaps, it's better this way. He always did prefer to be on his own. No matter how nice the company of others was. Although, he'd prefer if she wasn't with anyone at all. Even if he wasn't ready to be with her quite yet. And Kaeya of all people... why did it have to be him?

This is infuriating, he thought as he held the drawing to his chest. How could he have let himself become to captivated by this girl. It wasn't unusual for him to hold someone so dear to his heart but never in this way. To want to spend his every second with her. The pain he felt when she touched lips with Kaeya...

Kaeya.

Albedo had neutral feelings towards Kaeya but now. Well, he sort of despised him. He used to look forward to seeing the tall man. Only to hear the insults Cecilia made. The words he spoke before. As hurtful as those words were. He had a point. Even now Albedo had no intention of making a move. He could have prevented her from being with Kaeya. She'd now spend even more time away from Albedo.

Albedo's brows furrowed as he thought about it. His grip tightened on the sketchbook. He sighs, "truly a troublesome situation."