We Could Go Dancing

"That's actually really smart," Carter commented. Their feet rested on Xander's lap, and he ran his hand along their legs as the two talked, listening to Mamma Mia (this first one this time) in the background. After seeing the video the prior day, they were curious over how Trevor was dealing with everything. Since Dante was busy taking care of Trevor, they didn't want to bother him with details when they could ask Xander. He was Trevor's best friend, after all.

"We thought so, too, but Simon brought up some good points. He explained how Trevor's parents would be able to turn it around on him and make up excuses to prevent him from getting his stuff back."

"So what did you guys do?"

"Simon came with us. He acted like he was part of Jehovah's Witness, but since he wasn't dressed like them or holding a bible, his parents saw right through it."

"Oh, God."

"Yeah. So, he pushed his way inside, and Dante and I kind of shielded Trevor from having to look at his parents. We helped him pack as much of his stuff as we could carry, and when we came back downstairs, Simon was arguing with them about never contacting Trevor again until they got over themselves and learned to become more loving parents and that he'd call the cops on them if they ever showed their face around Trevor."

"Jeez. Did they get mad about him taking his stuff?"

"Furious, but we brought Trevor back to the car before he could hear anything. Simon didn't say what happened in that house, but he did come back to the car with a red cheek."

"They hit him?"

"I doubt he cares."

"How do you know?"

"He was smirking when he walked back."

"What did he do?"

"No idea. He told us not to worry about it.". He kissed Carter's cheek and chuckled. "It was kind of awesome."

"Bittersweet," they stated.

He shrugged. "Yeah, I guess. I'm just glad Simon was home. I don't know what would happen if we just went over there with a bunch of receipts."

Carter ran their hand over his and frowned. "I don't want to think about that."

"Then don't. Focus on the movie."

"After that story?" they scoffed. "I'm too hyped up now. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time."

"Maybe I should be an author then. You know, since I seem to be so good at storytelling," he joked.

"Ha, ha. I'd like to see you write a short story first."

"Is that a challenge?"

"It is." Carter held out their hand and smirked. "You have to write a short story by the end of the month. If not, you owe me...fifty bucks."

"Fifty?" he gawked. "Will you pay me fifty if I win?"

"Yes, but there have to be guidelines. It has to have an actual beginning, middle and end. It has to be at least five thousand words, and it has to be well written- And not in that fan fiction style you found on the internet."

Xander scoffed. "I think those pieces of work are an absolute artform, and you should show it some more respect."

Carter rolled their eyes and stared at the TV. Take A Chance On Me played, the long song before the credits.

When the movie did end, Xander pulled out his phone and checked his messages as Carter took out the DVD. Steven sent him a video of his girlfriend asking him out to Sadie Hawkins with the help of her soccer team, juggling balls that asked if he would go to the dance with her. He chuckled shyly before putting his phone away. He noticed Carter staring at him, and he chuckled. "What?"

"You look jealous," they claimed. Standing up, they crossed their arms over their chest as they laughed. "What happened?"

"Nothing really," he sighed. "Steven's girlfriend asked him out to Sadie Hawkins in one of those promposal types of ways."

They cocked an eyebrow at him. "You're jealous of him going to the dance? Babe, if you really want to go to that dance, I'll go with you."

He smirked. "We can't. Girls are supposed to ask the guys."

They rolled their eyes. "Shut up. Do you want to go or not?"

"Not if you don't want to go. I just know I do not want to go to prom. It's way too expensive."

"Agreed," they sighed, relieved. "I thought you were going to try to ask me out in one of those cringey promposal ways."

"Never. You'd shun me for a week for being too romantic," he teased. "Even though they can be very romantic if done well."

Plopping back onto the couch, they grabbed his legs and placed it on their lap. "What would you do if someone did that to you? Wouldn't you be embarassed?"

"Not at all. If they really put that much time and effort into something like that, I'd find it super sweet." Xander nodded and leaned his head back against the couch. "I think that's why Take A Chance On Me has always been my favorite song in the movie. It's a grand gesture to show she's interested in Bill. If someone were to do that for me, it'd be super sweet." His eyes shot of his head as he popped his head back up. "I will never ask you to do something like that for me. Unless that's how you decide to propose to me, or if we even get married and you make that your speech, don't do it."

"Not even if it was a promposal?"

"That's the only exception," he chuckled, "but we just agreed we wouldn't go to prom."

While that was true, the two never agreed that they wouldn't go to Sadie Hawkins together.

Vote, comment, and share!