Thank You For The Music

"How many times have you come here?" Xander questioned as he walked up to the doors of the Thai restaurant with Carter and her parents.

"Ugh, so many times," Henry moaned. "It's heavenly."

"Devine," Terry smirked.

"Gross," Carter gagged.

"What are you talking about? You love this place."

"I meant you two," she smirked, and Terry playfully watted his hand at her. She giggled as she slapped it away.

Everyone chuckled as they walked up to the door, but as soon as Xander took a peek inside, he grew silent. Carter turned her head and frowned. "Everything okay?"

"I'm sorry. I don't want to be here," he stated, still staring inside.

"What's wrong?" Henry questioned.

Carter looked inside through the window, ignoring Terry telling her to not be rude by staring at the customers. "Is there someone you hate inside?"

"Hate?" Henry asked.

"Not so much hate as...dislike."

A girl sitting at a table with her parents glanced up at the window, performing a double take when she spotted Xander. She couldn't tear her eyes away, but Xander forced himself to stare across the street.

"Sorry if I ruined tonight. I can head home."

"What?" Carter panicked. She grabbed his hand and held it tight in both her hands. He quickly turned to face her, his eyes glimmering in unshed tears. "Tonight's not ruined. We can go somewhere else. It's not a problem. Right, dad?"

"Of course," Henry assured, startled. "If something is-"

"Xander."

Everyone turned to face the Thai restaurant's entrance. A woman, roughly twenty-five, stood in the doorway, clad in a pair of dark jeans, brown booties, and a thin blue coat. She shivered as she stood outside but ignored the cold as she stepped up to her brother. "I thought that was you," she smiled. "I'm really glad you're here."

"I didn't come to join you three," he bit, glaring through the window at the back of his parents' heads. "I know they'd hate it if I ruined the illusion of a perfect family."

"I know you're just being petty, so I'll ignore that for now," she huffed. "I just meant I'm happy to see you. We haven't talked much since I came back."

"Yeah, cause you're out partying every night."

"If you had the chance to leave mom and dad, would you take it?" she deadpanned and smirked as he shyly looked away. "You can't blame me."

"I can if they always prefer you over me."

"Oh, my gosh, you're Samantha," Carter mumbled in shock.

Samantha smiled at Carter and nodded. "I'm guessing you're Carter?"

"I am." She crossed her arms and stood in front of Xander. "He's not interested in speaking to you."

"Okay," Terry huffed as he grabbed Carter's arm and pulled her inside. "Let them talk out their problems alone."

"Excuse me, I'm just trying to..." Her voice grew quieter as the three walked inside, giving the siblings some alone time.

"I get that you're mad. I understand."

"No, you-"

"Yes. I do," she firmly stated. "Mom and dad are a nightmare," she groaned as she leaned against the window. "They shove all their expectations onto you, and if you don't meet them, they think you're the one who's screwing up and that they've done nothing wrong." She smiled sadly at him. "I know it couldn't have been easy living with me as your sister, and I know it got worse once I got accepted to Harvard."