Take A Chance On Me

"I'm sorry, what the fuck did I just hear Xander tell you?" Dante squealed as he jumped up from the couch.

"You know exactly what he said," Carter said, waiting for him to knock again and claim he was joking. When he didn't, Carter walked to the window and peeked out the curtains. Xander remained planted on the front steps, berating himself. "What the fuck?"

"Why would you slam the door in his face?"

"I thought he was joking."

Dante peeked out the curtain with her and tsked. "Does it look like he's joking?"

"Oh, God. What am I supposed to do?"

"Tell him you love him back."

"But I don't."

"Yes, you do. Do not lie to me, bitch. I see the way you look at him and hear the way you talk about him. You have to admit you love him."

"I don't love him. I merely have a crush that will go away."

"Why would you want it to go away? He clearly feels the same way, or else he wouldn't have just run over to your house to tell you that he loves you."

"Because it will only last two fucking weeks!" Carter exploded, jumping away from the curtains. Hot, angry tears traveled down her cheeks, and she screamed in annoyance. "His feelings will go away after two weeks, because he will freak out over being with me forever, because he has relationship anxiety.

"Dante, he's my friend. I can't lose him after a stupid, two week stint with him. Being friends is the only way I can keep him in my life. That's why I'm ignoring my feelings."

Dante walked up to the window and watched Xander finally walk off the porch and back to his car. "I don't think he would have run here to tell you if he just wanted you for two weeks. If he did, he would have dumped your friendship a long time ago. He just confessed that he loves you. If you have any sort of feelings for him, you should let him know. Talk to him, and tell him what you're feeling. You have ten seconds before he drives away, and you lose your chance."

"I can go to his house, you know," she grumbled as she stormed to the front door and ran across the yard to his car.

As Xander gently pressed the gas pedal, Carter slammed her hand against the hood of the car. Xander jumped and let out a startled screech as he jerked his head to the windshield. He unlocked the door, and Carter plopped into the passenger seat.

"What the hell-"

"No," she stated, holding up her finger and staring straight out the windshield. "What the hell was that?"

"Have you been crying?" he gasped. Carter turned his head towards him, and he reached out to wipe away the black tear streaks under her eyes. She closed her eyes, fighting off more.

Grabbing her hand, Xander sighed. "I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to upset you. I realized that I like you, and I wanted to tell you." Shifting in his seat, he said, "Carter, you said you felt an attraction to me the night of the concert. I did, too, and it hasn't gone away. I'm sure it was there long before the concert, but I know that I like you and want to be with you. If you feel anything like that about me, is there any chance we can try to be boyfriend and girlfriend?"

"No," she snapped, jerking her hand out of his. "What the hell is wrong with you, Xander? I thought we were friends."

"We are friends."

"Then why are you trying to throw it all away?"

"I'm not. I'm trying to become something more."